Trip Report May 2019 Pritchett Canyon

RockChucker

Last weekend I was supposed to help out a buddy at the Dino Dash BOR race in Vernal. He didn't end up getting his car ready in time. My brother and I had talked about making a super quick trip down to Moab to run Pritchett and then come home. This weekend fit both our schedules with fallen through prior plans.

We cruised down Friday after work. Finally got on the road about 7 pm. Rolled into Moab about 11 and camped in big red. It was a cold night, and no one really slept. We got out of bed at 6 am, put our "sleeping" stuff away and were on the trail by 630. Tell you what, that is a great time to start. The only traffic we saw all the way to the top of yellow hill was a dude in his 60's jogging up the trail. We didn't see anyone else until we ran into another jogger just above rocker knocker on our way back down. We were almost to the bottom before we ran into anyone else.

Only a couple minor issues with my Jeep on the way up. About a year ago, I picked up a set of the Robby Gordon KMC beadlocks and mounted my Creepy Crawlers on them. When I had these tires on Raceline beadlocks, they initially would burp the inner bead, but that stopped after a few wheeling trips. These KMCs have not stopped burping air from the inner bead. I'm going to have to break down the wheels and put a couple wraps of Gorilla tape around the bead on the wheel. Hopefully that will fix it. Came up over a small rise and turned to the left and all the air left the tire. Ugh. Compressor out, 5 mins later we were back on the road.

Y3hf.jpg

And from the top of yellow hill. Pretty awesome rip up the trail.
Y26c.jpg

I only got out of my Jeep a few times and bottom to top to bottom was about 3 1/2 hours. Not bad for the leisurely pace we were running.
Here's a timelapse from the gopro I had mounted on the back of my Jeep. 3 1/2 hours in just over 7 mins.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I loath inner bead burping. I have the same issue and ended up welding a small wire around the bead. Still burps! Tried to pull the tire off to add some gorilla tape and I can’t get my tires off now X-D

Awesome report! Pritchett is still my favorite.

RockChucker

I loath inner bead burping. I have the same issue and ended up welding a small wire around the bead. Still burps! Tried to pull the tire off to add some gorilla tape and I can’t get my tires off now X-D

Awesome report! Pritchett is still my favorite.
I've never had a radial tire do it. Only a bias ply. I think it is because the way the carcass of the tire flexes under stress. Makes a wrinkle in the sidewall that creates a gap in the bead. Turns out they don't burp at all with like 18 psi in them. I don't know what exactly they were at after my trip to St George a couple months ago, but I suspect they were somewhere in the 3-4 psi range. A little squishy.