Mbryson Daily’s driver project ‘91 MJ Comanche

Trate D

Not sure exactly what the arms came out too. I can measure them. It's a cavfab alpha 3 link kit.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
The long arms on my son's MJ are around 30-31" 24" seems a bit short. My son has plenty of DOM to make some. He even has a decent set of RE shocks that would work with your lift.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The long arms on my son's MJ are around 30-31" 24" seems a bit short. My son has plenty of DOM to make some. He even has a decent set of RE shocks that would work with your lift.

That's why I called them Mid arm mounts. I was also lower in lift height than this MJ sits.

Trate D

Sorry, for the late reply. I forgot to get that measurement.... Mylowers are adjusted to 34 inches (center to center) currently.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Mine will be somewhere in that range. I tried to make the JK measurements work out but it's just smarter to get the angles closer to right and go from there.

So, how do the cool kids attach a bodyside bracket/mount for the upper on an MJ/XJ? Welding obviously but is there a strategically cool place to attach or do you just hang one below where the stock one is?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I would have to go home and take one but it looks something like the BDS cross member in this picture but a bit beefier.

Attachments

• bds.jpg
    bds.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 21

Trate D

Mines set up as a 3 link but has mounts to go 4 link. Sorry for the crappy pictures.
IMG_3041.JPGIMG_3042.JPGIMG_3043.JPGIMG_3046.JPG
One shows the empty passenger side mount.
IMG_2914.JPG
Lower arm angles at ride height.

mbryson

Supporting Member

Dave, I should swing by and grab a chunk of DOM and those shocks. Are you guys around this evening?

crosbike

I'm curious how a 6'1" 253 lb guy will do? Ultimately this is for my daughter in a couple years. I'm just making sure it's working appropriately until then. Hoping the MJ is better mpg than my 8.1 Suburban as a daily driver.
I'm 6' and about that weight and dd my mj with no problem. You can always push the seats back if thats an issue

mbryson

Supporting Member
Focused the past week or so 100% on getting “Jeep” ready for EJS and this has been a bit neglected in that time. Kicked the G8 out of the garage until I get ready to go back to work on Tuesday morning. I’m going full bore on this until then.

Had yet another issue with the clutch master-line-slave combo. Ran to OReilly again. We found a part # that had the line and the two cylinders already mated and friends. Will be here tomorrow afternoon. Ok. Clutch fixed (again).

After driving for a few hours, doing a little honey do stuff ;), dumping the “Jeep” off the trailer, and such I moved the MJ to a position of danger. It took the G8 garage spot. Dangerous4A15E535-2A1D-4D4C-A539-52FEAD815174.jpeg

We’ll push it here until Monday evening before I have to back to work. Ambitious plans are ...

1- clutch attached and hopefully working
2- @DaveB 4x4 shifter in place
3- @Brent 242 t case attached to measure for rear driveline
4- order driveline—48” seems long but I measured the wheelbase at 112”. We shall see. Assuming the AX15 is in operable shape, that should get me a 2x4 truck that moves?

I still had a little energy left after getting an errand done and tackled objective 2.

D16F2AEB-728A-4F31-B400-D00330D8E86E.jpeg

mbryson

Supporting Member
Well, I only worked for 2-3 hours today. Got about 8ish hours in on the MJ. It probably won't make the Swell trip this Sat morning but it should be driving under its own power by Thursday night? Just 2WD but it'll be nice to not have it be an yard ornament.

Transfer case in. Need to finish the 4x4 shifter
Master-clutch line-slave in. Seems to work?
Exhaust needs a bunch of work I don't have budgeted. We'll see what I can make work. I might have salvaged the current cat converter?
Ebrake hooked up
Ordered brake hoses (ones for a lifted TJ seem to be ideal?)
Ordered rear driveline at 48.25"

Still need to figure out
-panhard
-shocks
-oil leak near filter (probably those O-rings)

Last edited: