Mbryson Daily’s driver project ‘91 MJ Comanche

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Time for a thread on this. We are making a bunch of vehicle changes to facilitate some investment opportunities we could run into in June/July area this year. So down the road goes the ‘98 Cummins, replaced with a big engine cheap gas SUV, and a little run around rig for me to get to work.

Dan Pulsford had this ‘91 MJ that needed a home. Issue to me was that it is 2WD. From what I read, that’s an easy swap to 4x4. The day I pick it up, Matt Hornback offers up an external slave bellhousing (definite need), a possibly questionable AX15 out of a 4x4, and a likely serviceable 231J. Hmmmm, is this to easy?

85FE314B-9953-4E2E-920D-0DE784CD64C6.jpeg

So this is actually a pretty cool little truck how Dan had it. Just needs some finish work. After deliberating for a while if I was a lowered truck guy, I found a deal I couldn’t pass up on swapping the lowering stuff for an MJ rear D44. Well, my love for D35 is strong but a 44 is WAY cooler than a 35 and I had to go there

mbryson

Supporting Member
@Brent happened to post up a 242 with SYE here on RME and that will get added today. That leaves me needing a matching set of gears (enter @mesha of AllJeep) for an XJ Dana 30 I acquired for $100 of a Facebook post. AllJeep is running a rebate special fir gears and was good enough I couldn’t help but try out some Spartan lockers. I’m more of a selectable locker guy. Worth a shot though

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My son's MJ started life as a 2wd and was an easy upgrade for him to make it into a 4x4. His started out as a fairly stock rig but soon got a 4.5" RE lift which morphed into a higher lift, long arms up front along with a 79 F250 narrowed dana 44 and a rear dana 60 from an old Ford F100. Now we are just wrapping up a rear dual triangulated four link.

mbryson

Supporting Member
My seat and interior will need a little love. Headliner needs some work. Not sure what to do with the sunroof. Could be handy for a rig without AC. Recovering the seat is in the build budget, AC, cruise and tilt wheel are not. I’ll have to look into stealing some of that stuff from an XJ brother? How compatible are gauge cluster swaps? Would be nice to add a tach and such. image.jpg

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
The gauges are easy to swap, if you have the idiot light version you just have to swap sending units for the gauge type. I probably have them laying around in the basement (along with lots of other XJ parts). The transfer case cover plate can removed and a shifter put in. I have several of the shifters and linkages that you can have. My son even has some of the newer doors if you are wanting to change those.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Ah, Dana30 disassembled before I’ve even cleaned up from the engine swap. Pig sty in here. Someone HAS to want a 2WD AX15?image.jpg

(I might be getting a little too old to be picking even these cute little axles up by myself?)

Last edited:

rholbrook

Does your wife yell at you like my wife does at me? She thinks the truck should be parked in the third car garage. It me my truck and i choose to park it outside so i have room to do stuff at my leisure. My garage is not packed full, i just like to have room for me to work on stuff