Mbryson Daily’s driver project ‘91 MJ Comanche

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Dropped the front driveline off at Axis yesterday. Should have it back sometime next week.

Spent a couple hours cleaning up a couple things. Arm rest on the door attached, seat belt anchor bolt acquired (7/16 - 20 thread grade 8 bolt) and installed and just figuring out what will need to be taken care of to make this thing road worthy. Called insurance so I can now drive it, put the plates on it and parts chased in it a bit today. Aussie locker in the rear is somewhat noticeable but not unpleasant

I need to track down an oil leak (I think it's at the filter where those o-rings are?) and adjust the drag link. Also remembered I have a TeraFlex quick disconnect sway bar kicking around. Might be fun to have this added.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
This is always fun when trying to fix a leak...

2FB3489D-434B-4317-936E-D6A179850D39.jpeg

Swearing at my clumsiness, I ran across this thread basically eliminating my casting problem.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11...tor-jeep-xj-cherokee-1162291/#/topics/1162291

Trying that out for now.

image.jpg

We’ll check for leaks after I get a new filter

image.jpg

Gentle wiggling with an actual Vise Grip plier pulled the roll pin fairly easily.

We’ll see how it seals if I can get an oil filter on there
image.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
24C0E4C1-91A1-42A2-95C4-3AF37352202F.jpegE9E13ED6-E0D7-4EF7-9297-A7CB791D2E60.jpeg

So there’s my solution. ... time will tell. I did have to trim about 1/2” off the oil filter adapter. I don’t think that will kill anything other than I may have issues getting pressurized oil to the end of the filter?

Might want to bump my filter changed to 2000 miles within little cute filter?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Got my new oil filter adapter the other day. Should get that on in the next couple nights.

Just added a driveline but have a weird pinion yoke. I bought a Spicer 2-94-28x u joint kit..... I’ve had good luck with those on my “Jeep”. This yoke’s holes are slightly wider than the u joint? As a bonus, the threads aren’t long enough to bottom on the yoke? Has anyone seen this before? (Should have taken some pics). I think I’ll buy a new yoke.

What the hell valve cover gaskets do the cool kids buy these days? I’ve not had great luck with cork. The cork was $6 and the rubber gasket was $49...... do $20 rubber gaskets still exist?

Last edited:

Trate D

I like the felpro permadry gaskets. Never had food luck with the cork ones either. It seems if you torque them it helps too.

XJEEPER

Flepro for the win. Should come with new valve cover bolt hole grommets as well, or the leaking will continue. BTW, you can run a Fram PH8A or equivalent oil filter, which also increases your oil capacity by 1/2 qt. I've run this setup on 4 XJ's over the past 22 years.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Flepro for the win. Should come with new valve cover bolt hole grommets as well, or the leaking will continue. BTW, you can run a Fram PH8A or equivalent oil filter, which also increases your oil capacity by 1/2 qt. I've run this setup on 4 XJ's over the past 22 years.

Threw down the $50 for the FelPro at lunch today. I'm with both of you in that I don't want to do this over and all of us that have had a 4.0L have had the valve cover leak. Hoping I don't have a rear main seal leak but we all know how that goes. I'll start with the identified oil filter adapter leak. Moving to the valve cover and hoping not to have to do the oil pan gasket

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I did the felpro valve cover gasket like 8 years ago and it's been great. My oil filter adapter on the other hand :oops:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Got a little done today. Front shock reattached on drivers side axle mount (kewl bar pins), installed new oil filter adapter after having a faux pas last week and got the front driveline buttoned up. I did not do the valve cover gasket as the oil moisture seems to be coming from the oil filter area. Now I’m starting to think the leak is a distributor gasket?

Hoping to get it out to 5 mile on Monday but likely Tuesday? Not sure if should drive it out or trailer out there?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Got my new oil filter adapter the other day. Should get that on in the next couple nights.

Just added a driveline but have a weird pinion yoke. I bought a Spicer 2-94-28x u joint kit..... I’ve had good luck with those on my “Jeep”. This yoke’s holes are slightly wider than the u joint? As a bonus, the threads aren’t long enough to bottom on the yoke? Has anyone seen this before? (Should have taken some pics). I think I’ll buy a new yoke.

What the hell valve cover gaskets do the cool kids buy these days? I’ve not had great luck with cork. The cork was $6 and the rubber gasket was $49...... do $20 rubber gaskets still exist?
What did you figure out with the pinion yoke? Almost sounds like a double cardan style CV yoke. IIRC, the front output yoke from your T-case (which should be a DC yoke) is the same spline as a D30 and D44 pinion yoke...

mbryson

Supporting Member
What did you figure out with the pinion yoke? Almost sounds like a double cardan style CV yoke. IIRC, the front output yoke from your T-case (which should be a DC yoke) is the same spline as a D30 and D44 pinion yoke...

I snagged a fresh yoke. Was going to take it out to the Hangover run today but it’s just bleeding to much oil. I think you’re correct on the yoke interchanges though.

mbryson

Supporting Member
So this cool little truck needs a new home.

4E0371F6-584C-4FA2-BF0C-7F185D39AFA9.jpegF5601DC4-EAAF-491D-809F-921890D57E14.jpegCB7CAA1D-60CA-4E94-9D1F-4D155E1EAE31.jpeg5239D191-2770-4F26-A513-23F59DF0FA3E.jpeg8765F132-46E6-424E-9784-E578D87F18E3.jpeg64D5119C-8498-428B-9C39-7785585DEE08.jpeg3865831B-E46F-4B25-ABCE-6DA2F48EB28E.jpeg

Looking for $4800 as it sits or I can steal/swap some parts to my sons TJ and knock the price down a little (tires/wheels, lockers). Still has a pretty good oil leak. I believe it’s the rear main but haven’t changed the valve cover gasket yet.