Archived Mbryson EJS 2016 report

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the writeup Marc, that was fun to experience EJS through your report. One day I'll make it down there for the event.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just checked out my axleshaft damage. It appears ALL the needle bearings in one axle joint are crushed/gone. The short side, only one caps worth is total junk. I assume the cracking you can see on the soft parts let the salt in and dried out the grease in the joints. After no grease, the needle bearings would just be crushed to nothing resulting in heavy tolerances. The long side shafts are likely junk. I'll put a joint in there and see if the ears area all stretched out. If so, I'll probably just tack the caps in and use it as a spare? I think the short side could be reused but the one cap is kind of destroyed so I'm not 100% sure.

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can see the deterioration of the seals here. These joints don't have a zerk so I'm not sure how you'd maintain them? The above is the long side shaft that has a LOT of play in it as there are NO needle bearings left (after driving it out from the overlook on Hells Revenge as gingerly as possible)

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the short side shaft. One trunnion has NO needle bearings, the others are still fairly good. We'll see how the Superior Alloy shafts hold up with the kind of abuse I put them through?

Attachments

• IMG_3074 2.JPG
    IMG_3074 2.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3074.JPG
    IMG_3074.JPG
    778 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3075 2.JPG
    IMG_3075 2.JPG
    574.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG