MC Tech questions

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Maybe this is a dumb question, but y'all are smarter than Google I hope.

I need to lower my new to me dirt bike. Is it as easy as adjusting the preload on the rear coil?

I've read about adjusting sag and will be working on that tonight, and I assume sag and height go hand in hand, but wanted to ask to be sure.

Thanks!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

I need to lower my new to me dirt bike. Is it as easy as adjusting the preload on the rear coil?

I've read about adjusting sag and will be working on that tonight, and I assume sag and height go hand in hand, but wanted to ask to be sure.

Thanks!
Sag is usually just adjusting the rear shock to the specified number. This sets your fork and head tube angle which dramatically impacts steering. You can have the shock and fork shortened but it's pretty involved. How tall are you?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Sag is usually just adjusting the rear shock to the specified number. This sets your fork and head tube angle which dramatically impacts steering. You can have the shock and fork shortened but it's pretty involved. How tall are you?
5'10. When wearing my boots, I am still on my toes on the bike. Everything I have seen shows I should be flat footed on the ground when riding to be able to handle technical riding more easily.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
On my wife’s bike, I raised the forks in the triple clamps as far as I could and set the sag to match. It’s not ideal but for her it is working. When she is ready we will have the suspension professionally lowered

It’s a 18 ktm 150 xcw. So it’s a full size bike. She is like 5’6” I think

Tonkaman

Thanks!
It’s not the answer most of us shorties want, but truth is most people are on their toes. You don’t want to lower your bike, trust me it’s a rabbit hole with no happy ending. I’m 5’9” with a 29” inseam.

Practice balance techniques so you don’t feel the need to dab your feet and it won’t matter how tall the bike is.

Shortening suspension needs to be done by customizing the stroke of the forks/shock. Simply sliding the forks up and dropping your shock will make the bike handle like junk, and make riding that much more difficult. You definitely wouldn’t want to go back n the asphalt like that.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I also am just a toe toucher on my bike. I slightly slide to left side, keep my right boot on the peg, and then left foot can be flat.

Being lower would cause a whole new set of problems, such as rocks bashing your pegs, feet, and frame much more.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Glad I asked here! I'll order a lower seat first then and leave the suspension as is.
I'm 5" 10" also, I've never been able to flat foot a bike. Riding dirt roads is about the only time you ever need to put a foot down on level ground. Usually, you are in a track that drops the tire at least an inch or on a slope where you can put your foot down on the uphill side.

One tip, if you set your sag correctly, you can slide back on the seat a bit and the leverage on your rear shock will squat your bike more, allowing you to touch. This isn't while riding, more like when you need to stop on a hill or other obstacle. If you haven't yet, watch Rich Larsen, The IRC Tire Guy on youtube. He has tons of great tips for slow tech riding. I think Cheston took a class from Rich and now he is a static balance rock star.

If you want to go ride, I usually ride soldier pass (west side of UT lake) on either Mondays or Tuesdays. You are welcome to join and I can show you how to be mediocre.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Glad I asked here! I'll order a lower seat first then and leave the suspension as is.

IMO, save your money and spend it on gas in the saddle. A lower seat isn't necessary at your height. While it may make you more comfortable at first, moto seats are flat now days so you can more easily sit forward up on the tank area without sliding back.
All of these guys above (and me) can't flat foot. Try it for a while and you'll be glad you did. It may steepen the learning curve but ultimately help develop better skills.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Can’t add much to what’s been said but I had a professionally lowered bike once (bought it that way) and wow what a waste of money. Handled like crap and the tires bottomed in the fenders. Not worth it especially at your height.

Fwiw I can’t flat foot on mine either. You’ll get used to it i promise.

rholbrook

What I have always taught my kids when riding and others...as you are coming to a stop, make sure you end up in 1st gear by the time you have stopped and be on the look out for a good spot to stop where you will find it easier to put your foot down and then slide to the side of the seat as you put your foot down. The seat height isn't an issue while you ride, in fact, you should spend most of your time standing while off road anyway. Leave your bike height where it is and start planning your stops a little better until you are used to the height. You start adjusting your geometry of your bike via the suspension and you start messing with performance, not that you may feel the difference now, but as you become a better rider with more riding time, you may begin to notice it.