Meltdown and rebirth of a 6.7 Cummins

What's Industrials hope on EGT #'s with the compounds? Drop 200+ under load? Are you keeping the stock turbo, or 2 new? If so, going to add an aftermarket exhaust brake?
Have you looked in to removing the stock grid heater and doing an inline one (takes the place of the throttle valve - I was looking in to the one from Glacier)? Supposedly that's supposed to lower EGT's as well as better air flow...

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
What's Industrials hope on EGT #'s with the compounds? Drop 200+ under load? Are you keeping the stock turbo, or 2 new? If so, going to add an aftermarket exhaust brake?
Have you looked in to removing the stock grid heater and doing an inline one (takes the place of the throttle valve - I was looking in to the one from Glacier)? Supposedly that's supposed to lower EGT's as well as better air flow...
Here is the kit I am buying from Industrial. It uses the stock turbo, so I won't lose that quick spool or engine brake. When I talked to Dallas at Industrial he expected I would see around a 250 degree reduction under load. I have not looked into that kit from Glacier but will. Anything to reduce EGT's is what I am after.

ricsrx

Sorry Rick, I missed this question earlier. I am having Industrial Injection do the machine work and I am buying most the parts from them. Their pricing was much better than one of the other major diesel shops up there......plus one of the owners is originally from my neck of the woods.

with my Dodge racking up the miles i figure its only a mater of time before i will need some work

i was thinking of maybe having the work done before i have a come a part

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Block should be ready to pick up from Industrial on Monday. Grid heater delete and new grid heater showed up today.

Billet aluminum............the new chrome.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Shiney new parts=moar powah!! It's really good to see someone who admits that their chosen brand is not without flaws. I am totally blown away when I see people pulling trailers as big as yours Paul. It has to be hard on trucks. Looking forward to how this turns out.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Shiney new parts=moar powah!! It's really good to see someone who admits that their chosen brand is not without flaws. I am totally blown away when I see people pulling trailers as big as yours Paul. It has to be hard on trucks. Looking forward to how this turns out.

Every manufacturer out there has positives and negatives when it comes to their diesel line. I like the simplicity of the Cummins and the fact that these trucks can be worked on without lifting the cab off the frame. The Cummins also has great aftermarket support making it less expensive to rebuild. I have a friend who recently burned a hole through the piston on his '03 Duramax and he is 10k on doing just a basic shortblock rebuild .

I will be borrowing a friend's 2015 Ford to tow my trailer to Yost next weekend. It will be interesting to see how it pulls compared to the Cummins.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I will be borrowing a friend's 2015 Ford to tow my trailer to Yost next weekend. It will be interesting to see how it pulls compared to the Cummins.

You'll have to let us know how the two compare.

How much does your truck weigh empty?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
This pile of parts followed me home today. Maybe at the end of this I can buy a gun with the points on my Cabellas card.

To rehash what all this her is, Industrial Injection decked and machined each of the cylinders .020. Here re the before and after pics of cylinder 6.

New ARP head studs

Mahle coated pistons and new wrist pins

While all of the main and rod bearings were in great shape and well within spec I do not see any reason to not put new bearings in. The price difference between OEM and these coated bearings was only a couple hundred dollars, so I decided to go ahead and upgrade those also.

The bearings in my OEM turbo were showing some signs of play, so attention was needed there. Industrial gave me a quote to re-bearing and replace the seals that was more than fair, but after picking it up, it looks like they just swapped me for a rebuilt one off the shelf.

This is where the fun starts. This is the shiny Borg Warner turbo that will be driven off the stock turbo. When I talked to Dallas at Industrial, he said I should expect to see a 250 degree drop in EGT's under load with this turbo. My boost pressures will also peak out in the 50-55 range.

All the goodies to hook up the compound turbo.

New air intake........which means that I have an Air Raid intake that I would sell to somebody with a 6.7 for real cheap.

Everything is in my my mechanics hands now. I will update with some assembly pics as it goes together.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Man that looks nice! Did I miss where you said what type head gasket you're running? Fire rings/O-rings in the head?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Things have been going together slow due to the mechanic getting pulled off on some other emergency jobs. That's ok, I would hate to be traveling and stuck somewhere with mechanical problems and not finding a shop that was willing to get me going again without delay. This is where we sit as of Friday. Engine would probably sitting in the frame right now if we were not missing a bag of parts that were supposed to be in one of the boxes for the add a turbo.

Hoping to have the truck moving under its own power by Tuesday.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We are getting close. It should be running by lunch time tomorrow. Since I need to put 500 miles on it before I tow, I think I may make a quick road trip to Grand Junction for some dinner and a trip to the Liquor Barn.

Here is a pick of the compound set up from the rear

From here you can see the line coming off the oil filter housing for the turbo and draining to the bottom of the block.

Things are a little tighter in the engine compartment now.

And here is where we sit right now.