Metal Band Saw

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
you gonna use it alot? Jet and Delta make better ones... more money, but you get what you pay for.

and I'll assume KSL is out of stock on metal bandsaws? heheh

rrefx

I have the Delta, been using it pretty heavily since '97, and I bought it used for $100. It's been a good saw. Of corse you always want something better. Hopefully within the next year I'll be stepping up to the ellis.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The Jet one at RL Sure has been nice. Whatever you get, let me know how you like it. One of these days I'll be looking to get some new tools too. Been looking at band saws and lathes, although it'll be a year until I have a place to put them. :(

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I have been wondering about the same saw. I am really looking for a industrial type saw used though. I recently watched a Kalamazzo go for less than 500 on Ebay. Not bad for something that would have costed thousands new and will last forever. Shipping would not have been cheap though, and a single phase motor would have been needed.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
bobdog said:
We have a dry cut saw at work. It cuts real nice when the blade is sharp, but they really don't stay sharp that long. I have a feeling that the cost per cut may be pretty high.
I agree with that. I already have an abrasive chop saw, but I want a decent bandsaw to do more precise cutting.

spectra

Hickey said:
I agree with that. I already have an abrasive chop saw, but I want a decent bandsaw to do more precise cutting.

That is not an abrasive chop saw. It has a blade with teeth on it but like it was said before they cut nice for a few cuts then go away. I used one for a while and did not like it.

I would save some coin and then buy a decent band saw. Just remember to think about what you want to cut and what you might end up cutting. That way you can get one with a big enough span. I have a 14" Ellis and has been running everyday for the past 5 years. I know you dont need one that big but remember you get what you pay for.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Shawn said:
I have the HF one, use the sh!t out of it for the last year and it's still going strong.
Does it work reliably hands-free, or do you have to sit there and babysit it in case the blade gets stuck?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
bobdog said:
We have a dry cut saw at work. It cuts real nice when the blade is sharp, but they really don't stay sharp that long. I have a feeling that the cost per cut may be pretty high.

My Porter-Cable one cuts as good as when the blade was new, thats even with a few teeth missing. do to an error on my part:sick:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I had a little 4x6 HF saw for a while, it worked pretty OK but went through blades fairly often. That one is nicer since it has the hydraulic feed, which may help the blade last longer and the cuts be more consistent.

I was VERY OFTEN needing a larger capacity though.

TimB

Homesick
I have a small 4 x 6 Clark. It was about $160 new. It will break a blade once in a while, but I usually have all the good out of the blade before it breaks. I have used it a lot. It's slow, but you can clamp your part in and walk away. It finishes the cut and turns off on it's own - then you can come get the part. The parts do not get hot enough that you can't immediatly handle them bare handed.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
RockMonkey said:
Does it work reliably hands-free, or do you have to sit there and babysit it in case the blade gets stuck?
No baby sitting at all. I set it up and leave it to do another project while it cuts. The nicest thing about a band saw is the noise, are shall I say lack there of.......:) This saw won't last forever and I have been looking for an industrial type to take it's place, but for now it does what I want it to do.

Caleb

Shawn said:
No baby sitting at all. I set it up and leave it to do another project while it cuts. The nicest thing about a band saw is the noise, are shall I say lack there of.......:) This saw won't last forever and I have been looking for an industrial type to take it's place, but for now it does what I want it to do.
Do you have a nice blade on it? I have heard the HF ones work pretty good if you get a nice blade. (especially for the price)