Metal lathe carriage? stuck

Diesel_Zuk

I've been needing to do some work on a lathe, nothing crazy. Found this one at work that I can use to do what I need. However, the main slide on the carriage (I believe that is the name of it, it's the larger handle I'm pointing to in picture) seems to be stuck, and I cannot seem to free it up. I took metal shop in high school, but don't know enough about this stuff to figure it out. I've been going through the manuals I can find online, and can't find anything about loosening it up. It hasn't been exposed to water or rain, so I can't imagine it being rusted in place. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on how to free it up? I know I haven't provided a lot of info, but trying to figure this out so I can whip up some things. Thanks

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I don't know anything about lathes but if it were me I'd look at the silver looking bolts, possibly one got replaced and a longer one got stuck in and is now contacting it.

Diesel_Zuk

I don't know anything about lathes but if it were me I'd look at the silver looking bolts, possibly one got replaced and a longer one got stuck in and is now contacting it.
That was the first thing I checked, but they are only bolted into the slide rail to hold the upper carriage on.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Does the smaller bolts along the bottom release the top so you can look and see if there is something stuck?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
There should be a lever that controls the power feed for both the "X" (perpendicular to the spindle) and the "Z" (parallel with the spindle). In the second picture it should be the one directly below where your finger is pointing but can be different on various makes/models.

It is possible that the lever is stuck to where the carriage is locked onto the power feed screw. They are controlled by what is called a "half-nut" and I've seen that half nut seize up before on a lathe that hasn't been used in a long time.

Mike

Diesel_Zuk

Thanks for all your input guys! Was kinda scared to pull it apart because I've never done it before, and didn't want to damage anything, but I think I got it all figured out. Besides the fact the grease on the slide was ancient, and more of a tar than a grease, I found that this little set nut with an allen set screw on the end of the knob had been cranked down so hard, that the knob was actually pressing against the housing, and not allowing it to turn. I took everything apart, cleaned it, oiled the shaft and half nut, and reassembled it, and it seems to be turning and running smooth now! Of course, it was not without it's challenges, just getting the dang thing apart was a hassle because of how sticky the old grease and metal shavings were, got a nice long cut, at least it's not too deep! My department at work inherited this thing because it "didn't work" but it seems to me like it was probably just user error that caused the problem to begin with.