Miller Motorsports Park craziness

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm guessing someone will take over operating the track? But some changes will be sure to come if that is the case...

Kevin B.

Big hippy
A while back the LHM group turned from a family business into a corporation. I get the impression the racetrack was more a hobby than anything, and corporations don't have hobbies.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Tons of speculation about this. The proposed prison location was next door so there's a chance they saw that coming and wanted out but I'm betting it was simply a $ thing. I can't imagine the track has ever really made money considering how expensive it must be to lease the land and pay all the employees it takes to keep it going.
I guess best-case scenario is someone sweeps in, grabs it and keeps it open. If not let's cut down the fence and go play on the rock course!

Jeromy

After Larry died everything out their has been going down hill. Almost immediately you could tell their were a bunch of cut backs. It's been in decline ever since. Really sucks as in the beginning their was some real great racing out their.

I won't miss it! It was fun before they decided to have Disneyland prices for everything and ask for extra money on the general seating if you want a shaded spot. It was cool the first year it was open but after that not so much.

jentzschman

Why would you build something like that on property you didn't own?

I was thinking the sane thing. How much money did the LHM group invest in this place? I wonder if they are closing because of operation costs or the potential for the prison being moved out there. Either way, seems like a huge loss to me and I know very little about business strategies.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
"The marketplace isn't big enough and racing isn't popular enough to sustain a motorsports park of this size and sophistication,"

Jesser04

Is it posssible this is a move to try and force tooele county into selling the land? I can't believe the county wants this unless the prison is going to happen.

Tonkaman

I would be curious to know more about that. Why do they say it is a looooong way out?

The state started getting 3rd party studies on the impact of moving the prison over 10 years ago. Here we are and all they have decided is that there are 3 possible COUNTIES to move to.

Buying the land for a prison is the cheapest part of the process. The real costs incurred are bussing thousands of inmates a month to court, hospitals, and other places. Then there are the increased costs of transporting all the goods in and out of the prison. The farther away from the metro area the more time and money everything costs.

Long story short it's a very very complex decision and nobody is in a hurry to pull the trigger

D

Deleted member 12904

The prison site is land offered by the miller group so it's more like they have plans of leaving everything in tooele county. Also the park has been for sale for several years. It does not even break even let alone make money. It was somthing Larry wanted and the miller corp doesn't see an advantage to keeping a losing buisness that they can't even sale.

also the land lease was 99 years that's why they invested so much into it.

Coco

It would suck to see it go, but it also doesn't seem like they have even made an effort to host/publicize events out there. It is mostly for the rich doctors and lawyers to have a place to go play with there Porsches, but I would hope someone would buy it, and really put some efforts into making it a name for itself. I love going there for the rock sports, super cross, Lucas races, cruiser fest, and it was always cool to see some car going around the track as well.

RogueJeepr

Here!
RMR closing too

Not only this but Rocky Mtn Raceways is closing its doors also. They may only have a year or 2 left . Being pushed out by homes getting closer .