Miller Motorsports Park craziness

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I don't know the laws on the books for Tooele county, but still seems like a sale should be determined by whomever the seller decides to sell to regardless of price or whatever offers are on the table. I can understand Center Point's frustration on the matter but it just looks like case of "sour grapes" and they come off like whiney babies.

I have no doubt I don't have all the facts on the matter so I'm only commenting on how it appears.

I don't hate that the county is required to have a bidding process to sell something with real value. I think this protects the citizens who are the actual owners of the property/item by making the process transparent and open. I think we would all be very upset had the county accepted a third bid that was 1/4 the amount paid that later came to light was sold to the brother of the county commissioner who wanted to bulldoze the track and build a llama farm. We'd all say that was corruption and be pissed that the county "gave away" a public institution for pennies. What isn't great about the process is that it opens up the ability for litigation like has happened in this case. From what I understand Centerpoint argues that their bid was for a higher monetary amount up front and that is all that should be taken into consideration and the County says that may be the case but long term there will be greater value in the bid that was accepted. I think both sides hold valid points although I would tend to agree with the long term look and value that would be created by keeping the track in the hands of a racing and testing company. Both bids would increase tax revenue and create jobs but when that tax money and jobs would arrive are both on different ends of the spectrum.

In my opinion bidding protects the interests of the people **most of the time**, it can lead to strung out lawsuits by disgruntled parties but I do think its the best way for public property to be sold.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Very interesting to say the least, in my opinion CenterPoint is promising hopes and dreams compared to Mitime coming in and improving and running the track. In all reality the land is worth more in the range of $100 million due to the improvements that have been made. Is CenterPoint willing to pay an actual value? no way... nobody would be willing to do that, I totally see where the County is coming from on this, it is immediate money coming in vs potential taxes on properties that may or may not happen. The improvements that are already scheduled to be happening via Mitime to the property as soon as it takes over vs the likely destruction via Centerpoint.. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, at this point it is most likely a loss for Utah who will likely not get to use the facility in any way for 2016 and possibly ever.