Moab after Thanksgiving; Monolith OR Kane Creek

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I want to get out to Moab on either Fri/Sat or Sun.... preferably Saturday out of those options. Super short notice for sure, but putting it out there just in case anyone else is available. It would just be a daytrip for us, but I don't think there's enough time in the day to do both the Monolith (Lockhart) and run Kane Creek.

I'd be in the Gladiator on 37's.... would recommend at least 35's and 2 lockers for anyone else interested in coming along, especially if we run Kane Creek.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've been granted a reprieve, but only if the Tooele landfill is open tomorrow so I can empty the dump trailer and haul the Jeep in it.

Greg

Admin
So Saturday, meet at the movie theater at what... 9-10 am? I realize that we all will be driving in to town, don't mind a later start.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Lockhart is ROUGH north to south. Last year we had 2 trucks blow up front diffs on the 1 mile gate keeper section. Id reccomend 33's min and at least a rear locker to go N to S. S to N is much easier, but still a challenge to get down the hill with no damage if you go all the way. The big trucks won't have a problem, but smaller tires and nice paint could be challenging.

If the monolith is the desire, I'd go S to N and turn around after checking out the plane wreck near there for @Jesser04 in the GX.

Greg

Admin
Lockhart is ROUGH north to south. Last year we had 2 trucks blow up front diffs on the 1 mile gate keeper section. Id reccomend 33's min and at least a rear locker to go N to S. S to N is much easier, but still a challenge to get down the hill with no damage if you go all the way. The big trucks won't have a problem, but smaller tires and nice paint could be challenging.

If the monolith is the desire, I'd go S to N and turn around after checking out the plane wreck near there for @Jesser04 in the GX.

I was planning North to South, or North to the Monolith then back out the same way. I'm more familiar with the trail that way, myself.

Is the Monolith pretty much in the center of the trail? Or located more to one end versus the other?

Perhaps we should say 33's and at least one locker required.... I didn't realize it had become that rough!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
It appears to be somewhat near the middle. Your Jeep with 37's would be fine. It's smaller tires and open different that will struggle. We had to winch every open diff truck up the last obstacle March of 2019. Anything on 35's and a rear locker went up unassisted.

If the monolith is the goal, I'd go S to N and then carefully spot smaller vehicles down. Its a damn long way to that spot for a day trip though, no matter what direction you go. After the hard stuff, its still a rough road that only lends itself to speed in a few sections. From around the plane south you can do higher speeds from what I remember.