Moab bans plastic bags

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Anybody but me notice the video that goes along with the garbage patch post contradicts the entire point the post makes?

Not saying I want to trash the oceans or that we shouldn't take a good look at being good stewards of the planet, but that post is complete crap. Do your own research folks, question even the things you see. All of that post is an admitted lie that was justified by it's original author as the ends justify the means.

Make the case based on the truth, and stop giving up your rights to liars

There is a lot of plastic trash floating in the Pacific Ocean, but claims that the “Great Garbage Patch” between California and Japan is twice the size of Texas are grossly exaggerated, according to an analysis by an Oregon State University scientist.

Further claims that the oceans are filled with more plastic than plankton, and that the patch has been growing tenfold each decade since the 1950s are equally misleading, pointed out Angelicque “Angel” White, an assistant professor of oceanography at Oregon State.

“There is no doubt that the amount of plastic in the world’s oceans is troubling, but this kind of exaggeration undermines the credibility of scientists,” White said. “We have data that allow us to make reasonable estimates; we don’t need the hyperbole. Given the observed concentration of plastic in the North Pacific, it is simply inaccurate to state that plastic outweighs plankton, or that we have observed an exponential increase in plastic.”

The studies have shown is that if you look at the actual area of the plastic itself, rather than the entire North Pacific subtropical gyre, the hypothetically “cohesive” plastic patch is actually less than 1 percent of the geographic size of Texas.

“The amount of plastic out there isn’t trivial,” White said. “But using the highest concentrations ever reported by scientists produces a patch that is a small fraction of the state of Texas, not twice the size.”

Last edited:

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
I have been out to the landfill out here in Tooele county a few times. There are plastic bags scattered all over the hill behind the landfill. People just throw them out, it goes into a landfill, and then the wind picks up and blows them all over the place. I have no problem with them banning something like that.

I also hate it when I go to the store to buy 1 thing and they stick it in a bag.

I don't consider myself a tree hugger but I do hate litter!!

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
It takes 22 gallons of water to make a pound of plastic so you need to take that into account too. I also can't imagine it takes one gallon of water to wash a metal straw.

I take serious issue with this claim. I can find the claim everywhere but cannot find a scientific source regarding how the author arrived at this conclusion. Clearly the assumption behind the numbers is that those 22 gallons are lost forever, which doesn't jive with proven water cycle science. Also it doesn't account for reuse whereby the water inputs that go into that manufacturing calculation obviously assume a new 22 gallons are used for each pound produced.

Please, wether you agree or disagree with the point a statistic makes, check the references and think for yourself.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics

Last edited:

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Please elaborate

Well if it's 9 feet deep, why doesn't more trash fill in the void where he jumps in? Hell why is he even able to jump in shouldn't it float him?
If it was 9 foot thick floating trash wouldn't some of it be held up out of the water by other more buoyant trash?
How could a boat with a draft of lets say 5 feet easily drive through 9 foot deep trash? it didn't even foul the motor!
"This particular garbage patch is roughly twice the size of Texas" wouldn't they just show a picture of the flotilla of doom instead of this guy trash diving? Why havent you ever seen a photo of this flotilla of doom?

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
It's all a lot like using Michael Brown's case as the preeminent example of police brutality to support your righteous indignation and disrespect the flag.

not using your to mean specifically you bluewolf, rather the public at large

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
I respect your right to make the choice that you are making, heck I probably agree with you more than you know.

I just can't abide the lies and misinformation that divide people anymore. These are the enemy of reason, compromise, and solutions based in fact. If we are ever going to get together again we have to get past the false information that divides us.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
not using your to mean specifically you bluewolf, rather the public at large

Didn't take it that way :beer: I know I sound batshit crazy to a lot of people, and especially since it seems "all of a sudden" that I've felt this way. But I've actually had these feelings for a few years and finally got enough motivation to tell myself to pull the trigger on actually trying to make an effort at being less wasteful and maybe trying to slow my rate of damage.

No matter what, the earth will reform itself back to a homeostatic state of nature after humans are not in the equation anymore. Whether it takes 1,000 years or 100,000+ years, all of our structures, our roads, our materials and chemicals etc, will revert back to rubble and become "natural" material. But I'm sure it won't be in our lifetimes or any of our near-generations lifetimes, but I still feel like we should be leaving less of a "permanent mark", and for me, that starts with myself.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
I drive the Prius you "rolled coal" on

I do my best within reason not to use more than I need. I am a practical person and I try to use the most efficient tool for every job. My wife takes her own bags to the store most of the time, but it sure would be a pain in the ass if she needed to make an unplanned visit to the store and didn't have a way to carry home her purchases.

I also believe that a diamond with a flaw is better than a pebble without one