Moab BLM comment period ends Dec 30th

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I know that this whole Moab BLM RMP thing has been discussed on this board on several occasions, and I also know that many of you have sent in your letters and e-mail comments. I’d like to personally thank everyone that has sent letters, but this post is for those of you that have not. I apologize for how long this is, but hopefully the information will be helpful. This letter will be e-mailed to everyone on our (Red Rock 4-Wheelers) e-mail list. Thanks - Jeff

Fellow 4-Wheelers – By now, I’m sure that everyone is aware that the BLM is working on a new Resource Management Plan (RMP) for the Moab and Monticello areas. If you have already submitted a scoping letter to the BLM, then Thank You!, and you can disregard this notice! If not, then please take a moment to read on!
The new RMP, when implemented, will govern policy on BLM land for the next 15 years. If we want to enjoy continued access to many of the roads and trails around Moab, it is vitally important to voice our opinions now! We all know that there are numerous groups and organizations that are determined to severely restrict or eliminate all motorized use on our trails. These organizations (such as SUWA, the Sierra Club, and many, many others) are large, very well funded, and very well organized, and can be expected to submit thousands of letters trying to support their views. We must counter that campaign with letters and efforts of our own!
I know that writing a meaningful letter can be a tough thing to do. Just getting started is hard, and coming up with specifics is even harder! So to help out, here are a few tips, and some specific items that you may want to include in your letter:

1. First, address your letter to: SWCA, Salt Lake City Office, 230 South 500 East Suite 380, Salt Lake City, UT 84102-2015
2. In the first paragraph, write something such as “I would like to submit these comments and suggestions regarding the new Moab and Monticello RMP.”
3. Next, identify yourself, and tell them why 4-wheeling is important to you and your family. Tell them of the increasing popularity of OHV use, and that they must provide increased quality OHV opportunities for now and future demands. And let them know that OHV enthusiasts bring a lot of money into the local economy.
4. Tell them which roads and trails are important to you, whether it is a “Safari Trail” or not. The BLM’s “Planning Bulletin #3” asks for “substantive and verifiable information you may have regarding routes” which may not be included in the BLM route inventory. Reading between the lines, it is my opinion that any route that is not included in the final BLM inventory will be fair game for official closure under the new RMP.
5. You may want to comment on the “Special Recreation Permit” which the BLM is considering. If implemented, this policy could require any organized group to apply for a Special Recreation Permit, pay a fee and be subject to environmental analysis, and even possibly have insurance. This could affect any club run or group outing you may schedule, regardless of size. Tell them that 4-wheeling is a social activity that is often enjoyed among groups of friends and families, and these overly restrictive regulations will make it extremely difficult for you to continue to enjoy the Moab area.
6. Tell them that education and enforcement should be the preferred method of dealing with illegal off-route travel, rather than automatic closures.
7. Include any other personal concerns or suggestions that you may have.
8. Be sure to include your name and address, and sign your letter.

For more information on the RMP, you can log onto the BLM’s informational website at www.moabrmp.com or www.monticellormp.com. These websites also provide an e-mail address for submitting your comments, if you would prefer that method.

The BLM deadline for submitting letters is December 30, 2003, so we don’t have much time! I know everyone is busy this time of year, but if 4-wheeling in Moab is important to you, you need to make the time submit your letter! The future of 4-wheeling in Moab depends on it!

Thank you in advance,

Jeff Stevens
Chris Schuck
Red Rock 4-Wheelers, Inc.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thanks Jeff! I totally agree with writing in, many of you already have, but those that have not written to the BLM really need to!

This is your chance to help decide where the future of the Moab & Monticello area lies! Do you want to be confined to paved roads? Why not? Tell them how you feel! There's plenty of great ideas as posted above by Jeff..... PLEASE, write your letter to the BLM... NOW!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yeah Thanks Jeff! I've already sent a lot in via email, but I'm preparing some letters to mail to them also.