Trip Report Moab Metal Masher in March

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
The rain and snow had beat us down long enough so my wife and I decided to head for Moab and get a little dirt therapy. What was supposed to be a beautifully sunny and 60deg day in Moab of course was not, but we had fun anyway.

We met up with Cendee from the SLC area who was camping along the river for the weekend and made a last minute decision to run Metal Masher. It had been about 10 years since I had run the trail and didnt remember anything very difficult that couldnt be easily bypassed for the JKUs on 35s. We ended up getting a lot of wind as well as some rain and snow out on the cliff overlook. As per usual.... Im terrible at slowing down for pics so heres a few that I have.... most were sent to me from the other people with us. :facepalm:

We ran the trail "forward" opting to climb up all the fun stuff towards the overlook.

Just your basic JKUs on 35s.

Mirror Gulch was more fun than I remembered...(honestly completely forgot about this section)

We bypassed "Widow Maker" and cruised out the second half of the trail with a few small obstacles for entertainment.

Overall it was a great day on the trail with no breakages or drama.

Last edited:

Bart

I'm blown away that neither of you have run Metal Masher. It's a fun trail with some amazing scenery. I'm gunning it at EJS on Thursday with Dave and he may be driving my old Jeep as the leader.

ID Bronco

Metal Masher was the first or second trail I ever ran in Moab. I have very fond memories of that trail. The long drive out was pretty slow and tedious if I remember right, but I loved the trail. Looks like you had a great time!

Pike2350

Metal Masher is one of my favorites. Ive never seen anyone make it up Widow Maker... is staying to look near impossible unless you are a serious buggy. Granted it's been a few years now... ...but it keeps getting more dugout. Instead of being about 5.5' high, last time ut read like 7'

Ive never tried Rock Chucker ...but would love to try with my Rodeo.

The overlook is one id the best in Moab IMHO. Great spot for lunch.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I'm blown away that neither of you have run Metal Masher. It's a fun trail with some amazing scenery. I'm gunning it at EJS on Thursday with Dave and he may be driving my old Jeep as the leader.

I'm with Bart - totally blown away you haven't run it! In my short time living out there I probably ran it at least a half dozen times! There is a lot of fun to be had on those intermediate trails!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Metal Masher and Top of the World are probably my two favorite trails around Moab, mainly because of the views and they have enough challenge for groups whether you are running 33's and open diffs or 37's and dual lockers. We did MM with a light rain one time and got through just as it turned into a real storm, I believe it was that year they had the flooding over Memorial weekend and lost that Jeep on Kane Creek.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Metal Masher and Top of the World are probably my two favorite trails around Moab, mainly because of the views and they have enough challenge for groups whether you are running 33's and open diffs or 37's and dual lockers. We did MM with a light rain one time and got through just as it turned into a real storm, I believe it was that year they had the flooding over Memorial weekend and lost that Jeep on Kane Creek.

Metal Masher and Top of the World are two of my favorites also.

I ran Top of the World about 10 years ago in my 1996 ZJ on 32's which required a few stacked rocks but it has been one that we really like. For some reason the wife doesn't like Metal Masher as much but I think the name freaks her out is all. Ran it for the first time about 4 years ago. I've tried telling her that we can make is as easy or difficult as possible but she still doesn't care for it.

Mike

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Metal Masher and Top of the World are two of my favorites also.

I ran Top of the World about 10 years ago in my 1996 ZJ on 32's which required a few stacked rocks but it has been one that we really like. For some reason the wife doesn't like Metal Masher as much but I think the name freaks her out is all. Ran it for the first time about 4 years ago. I've tried telling her that we can make is as easy or difficult as possible but she still doesn't care for it.

Mike

Metal Masher also has tons of space for lunch breaks for groups or if you just want to watch the bigger rigs attempt the tougher obstacles, Top of the World is a bit more limited on wide spaces but fine for up to 5 rigs to park. I can't wait to get back down this year.