Trip Report Moab RocktoberCrawl - Oct 2018

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Report from this thread: https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/rme-moab-rocktobercrawl-oct-17-20-2018.115154/

This is a brief summary of the week from my POV. I ended up down there from Sunday till Saturday afternoon as the rest of the crew showed up Weds night / Thursday. Sunday was a get there and setup camp day so not a whole lot went on.

Monday was a solo run with Amy up Pritchett (I know, but I do it all the time... :p). Didn't really take any photos that day!
Tuesday we decided to run CliffHanger as a group from Texas said they were heading that way after we met them at the top of Pritchett. We ended up getting a late start that day and passed them as they were on their way out.

That view!
CliffHanger-IMG_2003.jpg

Not entirely sure if these are legit, but they are there. My gut tells me they are fakes.
CliffHanger-IMG_2005.jpg

Instagram worthy for the babe
CliffHanger-IMG_2006.jpg

Heading back out - Cliffhanger obstacle.
CliffHanger-IMG_2014.jpg

Next day (Weds) was pretty much a rain day. It was on and off. We ran into town to get phone reception to see what was in store. It changed from the day before and Thurs was not looking too awesome. Oh well! Weds ended up being base-camp day.

Basecamp---Weds.jpg

Basecamp---Weds-Rain.jpg

On to Thursday. It was going to be a rainy day for most of the day, but the amount didn't look like it was going to be a lot. Instead of running the planned Pritchett Canyon that day the group opted to swap days and run PSM -> W.E.D.

This is where I screwed up and didn't notify a few of the people who were waiting to run it with the group on Friday. I sincerely apologize, it was a spur of the moment decision with the group. I do hope that the others ended up grouping and getting a run in!

PSM-WhereEaglesDare-0014.jpg

One of the first slickrock climbs into PSM
PSM-WhereEaglesDare-0031.jpg

Jpest in the mirror
PSM-WhereEaglesDare-2033.jpg

Partial group below the first waterfall obstacle on PSM
PSM-WhereEaglesDare-2034.jpg

PSM-WhereEaglesDare-2035.jpg

Good view of the storm as it progressed. It seems being on that mesa that day allowed us to skirt the storm. We did get wet, but nothing terrible.
PSM-WhereEaglesDare-2042.jpg

Skyline Drive obstacle
PSM-WhereEaglesDare-2048.jpg

Getting into Where Eagles Dare.
PSM-WhereEaglesDare-2050.jpg

W.E.D. is a really cool route. I remember running it a couple years ago but I didn't remember it being so fun. Definitely taking this route out there from now on!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Friday Pritchett!

Group getting started in a wet Pritchett. This should make for a challenge!
Pritchett-Friday-2058.jpg

Pritchett-Friday-2062.jpg

Pritchett-Friday-2068.jpg

Getting grippy on Chewy
Pritchett-Friday-2074.jpg

Pritchett-Friday-2077.jpg

Pritchett-Friday-2081.jpg

Pritchett-Friday-2451.jpg

At this point, we lost xjtony to some motor issues and a busted shock mount. Grateful to know that he made it back OK (we were coming back down the canyon so we would have ran into him if he hadn't)

Pritchett-Friday-2083.jpg

Pritchett-Friday-2087.jpg

Optional climb that @Gawynz made flawlessly.
Pritchett-Friday-2100.jpg

Pritchett-Friday-2107.jpg

Optional fun in the bowl before rocker knocker
Pritchett-Friday-2111.jpg

So, rocker knocker is NOT easy at all when there is mud! Even the traditional crab line is difficult to get started on! We spent some time there but eventually all made it up.
Pritchett-Friday-2142.jpg

Axle Hill:
Pritchett-Friday-2169.jpg

Pritchett-Friday-2449.jpg

Rockpile: Two in our group climbed it this day. I just couldn't get the right line today for whatever reason. But that happens.
Pritchett-Friday-2320.jpg

Pritchett-Friday-2328.jpg

Pritchett-Friday-2447.jpg

Pritchett-Friday-2332.jpg

Group shot at the top
Pritchett-Friday-2334.jpg

Heading back down
Pritchett-Friday-2338.jpg

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Coyote Saturday

I absolutely missed this trail. Running it on Saturday was such a great time. I'm a huge fan of boulder trails like this. It really lets you test the technical ability of your rig.

Coyote-Saturday-2369.jpg

I volunteered @Seth to lead us this day because he was our resident Coyote Veteran. :D
Coyote-Saturday-2341.jpg

Not a whole lot to talk about as we pushed forward into this canyon. I think we timed it at 3hrs for a 1/4 mile of trail. We all made it out whole this day!
Coyote-Saturday-0023.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2345.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2347.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2351.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2355.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2357.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2359.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2438.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2364.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2441.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2371.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2372.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2377.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2381.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2384.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2392.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2394.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2398.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2404.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2411.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2416.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2424.jpg

Coyote-Saturday-2431.jpg

Last edited:

xjtony

I was on the trail long enough to make a few pictures!!! lol I didn't take any pics during my short run, but had a great time. I'll see if my son got any that I can post up.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
As I was waiting for in laws to get out of bed Thursday morning and was running around town. I was tempted to snap a pic of Herzog's rig parked in front of the liquor store at 11am. :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I was trying to see if I could see you just to check in and see how bad things must have been going? X-D:rofl::cool:

We were laughing about being there as we were in a hurry to meet up with everybody... right at 10:58 TONS of vehicles flocked the store so we didn't feel too bad about it. X-D

smfulle

Our small group of flatties (2 jeeps) had a fun time on Thursday running Metal Masher. We pretty much did all the bypasses on this soggy day. Here's a video of our run. I added a little something different on my video this time. I did a little voice over dubbing narration. Let me know if you think it's ok of it it is more of distraction.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Coyote is one of my favorites, amazing to see how much it changes everytime I've run it.
I ran it twice this year and twice last year and it was different each time, love it!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Coyote is one of my favorites, amazing to see how much it changes everytime I've run it.
I ran it twice this year and twice last year and it was different each time, love it!

I agree! I hadn't run it since it closed then re-opened under the new guidelines! It was just as fun as I remembered it. Definitely a favorite again.