Moab Trail Info, Jackson Hole aka Killer Kane

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Anyone know if the Jackson Hole Trail (south of Potash on the other side of the Colorado, aka Killer Kane) is open.

Traildamage.com (ironic?) says a rockslide closed the trail a year or so ago... anyone know if that has changed??

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Looks like a cool trail from everything I just read. I'd be down to help clear out some rocks if it's still blocked.

And why is it that every trail down there gets renamed with some gay name?

notajeep

Just me
Isn't that chicken corners? South of potash and on the other side of the river? That trail is open. Do you mean on the same side of the river as poison spider?
Anyway.... I have never heard about this trail, but would love to check it out and or help clear a rock slide if necessary.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Jackson Hole and Killer Kane are two different trails.

Jackson Hole is the trail you see from the top of Cliffhanger, down at the bottom of the cliff. You access it from the Chicken Corners trail, and it passes through private property at Camelot. It is a dead-end, "in-and-out" trail, and is not difficult.

Killer Kane (aka Minesweeper) is the dugway you see to your right as you head towards Hurrah Pass and Kane Creek. From the top of the trail, you actually look down on Hurrah Pass. It also passes through some private property (there is a gate), and is mostly on SITLA land. It is a fairly difficult trail, with a couple recent rock falls you need to climb over. The shelf road is very narrow and exposed. Along the way, there are several old mine shafts, one of which goes all the way through the mountain, and comes out the other side.

As far as I know, both are still open. I was on Killer Kane this past June, but I haven't been on Jackson Hole for probably 3-4 years.

Jeff

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
drtsqqrl:
10-4, thanks for the info Jeff. It makes sense that they are different trails, every thing I read said that Jackson Hole was an easy trail while Killer Kane had obstacles like the breadloaf, etc. Thanks again :cool:

Brett:
See what happens when you jump to conclusions... :p

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Isn't that chicken corners? South of potash and on the other side of the river? That trail is open. Do you mean on the same side of the river as poison spider?
Anyway.... I have never heard about this trail, but would love to check it out and or help clear a rock slide if necessary.

Chicken Corners is further west, all the way at the end of the the Kane Creek Road, past Hurrah Pass.

Killer Kane (aka Minesweeper) and Jackson Hole are directly south of Potash proper (not the evap. ponds)

Now go run it and take some pics :D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I found what I think is "Killer Kane" trail this year, and if you run it be sure and take pics. I only went up mabey 1/4 of a mile, and then turned around (was exploring by myself, and it started to get pretty wild). From what I've heard it puts the pucker factor of most trails around Moab to shame, and I believe it.......

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
Here are some pictures of Killer Kane.
dan-starc-moab-04-20040192.jpg

dan-starc-moab-04-20040119.jpg

notajeep

Just me
ok... I know what road you are talking about now. I have always seen that road that runs up the side of the cilff and wondered about it. I drove around one day and found the gate that you use to access it, but figured that it was just access to a mine or 2. How far does it go? Does it wrap around at the top of the cliff? Does it come out somewhere else?
I will have some time this weekend... Anyone want to go and chcek it out with me?

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
Killer Kane I don't know about but it very well could be closed, I've seen several BIG rockfalls over that way recently. Jackson Hole is open, we just sent one of our 2x4 welding trucks over there a couple of weeks ago to repair the gas line. I work at the Potash mine.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Killer Kane I don't know about but it very well could be closed, I've seen several BIG rockfalls over that way recently. Jackson Hole is open, we just sent one of our 2x4 welding trucks over there a couple of weeks ago to repair the gas line. I work at the Potash mine.

Is the ~6" metal line that is crossed a couple time on Cliffhanger your natural gas line?

Do you know Dennis D'agnese?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
How far does it go? Does it wrap around at the top of the cliff? Does it come out somewhere else?

The road turns back towards Cliffhanger once it reaches the top. It dead-ends after a while, but there is a bike route that connects to Cliffhanger (near the "Z Turn"). I have walked the bike route, wondering if it could be driven with a 4x4, but there is a near cliff section that makes that impossible.

Jeff

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I have an article on "Killer Kane"....I'll see if I can dig it up. I know it was ran by the group with that XJ on EJS around 3 years ago if my memory serves.....