Moab Trip Report from Labor Day Weekend

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
On Friday night My brother (99 Black XJ with Teraflex 8.5" Coil Conversion Long Arm Conversion 33" MTR's), My Cousin (93 YJ D60's F&R with SOA 2.5 add a leaf Rancho, 37" MTR's), My Cousin's Friends (Stock Grand Cherokee ZJ, and Stock 96 Chevy Blazer) all drove down to Moab.

We pulled in at about 2:30 A.M. Saturday Morning set up camp (we were about 9 miles outside of Moab) Then the next morning we started pulling the coils off of the Grand Cherokee that was with us and put in his 2" Coil Spacers that he recently bought.

We then decided to go and do a lame no name trail I think it was called Long Canyon because we had a Chevy Blazer with us (a 96 which only had like 3" of clearance)

After that we went and did Fins and Things. That was an easy trail which is fun. The Grand got high centered on an obstacle and we had to hook up a strap and pull him up it. The Blazer scratched his frame and towing package on everything.

The next day we did another no name trail all I know is it is near Metal Masher.... We then decided to go and do Metal masher since we were close to it. On Metal Masher we decided to turn around and at our Turn around spot my Cousin decided to take his YJ down a really steep drop off.... It was about 4.5 feet tall. Not big compared to some drop offs. But when he went down his front end hit and all of a sudden he was leaking ATF out of the NP231 T-Case. So he hurridly got his back tires off. When we checked it.... His entire Transfer Case housing had been cracked in about 3 different places!!!!!

Put the T-Case in Neutral and my brother's Cherokee pulled it out of Metal Masher. Before we could get out of Metal Masher his gears started clicking. So we had to remove the rear driveshaft because the pinion was moving it and causing it to move the gears in the T-Case. Then we had the Grand Tow it to Moab off Road.

Moab off Road gave him an awesome price for a new housing, and they basically aren't charging him any labor. Those guys are awesome!

They said if he could pull out the T-Case they would swap the guts for him.

He was supposed to come home today, but then they found out something else was broken (I believe the filter in the T-Case) So he will leave tomorrow.

All Monday we worked on getting his T-Case out and getting the Jeep ready, then I left at about 5:30 P.M. for home

Other thanthe break down.... It was a good trip! Sorry no pics.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Oops my bad... Memorial Day weekend.

The reason it broke is because his front driveshaft custom made by six states wasn't telescoping correctly. He didn't find that out until he tried to pull it off and it wouldn't telescope.

I didn't see you either. What were you driving?

ATF. That's what the NP231 uses for lubrication instead of 90W.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Originally posted by sukaB
Just checking....!
Why was the shaft bound up?

still don't know.... He's going to run it down to Six States when he gets back and see what they can do to fix it. He's not going to push it, but see what they can do to reimburse him for the T-case since it was the shaft at fault. If they won't do anything, well then thats that. :)

He's still down there hopefully he will be coming home today. I'll give him a call and find out what happend.

On my last post Suka.... I forgot to put in the smiley face, sorry, didn't mean to be blunt. :D

Oh yeah the no name trail we went on before we did Metal Masher, was Gemini Bridges. :)

jrussell3176

Sounds to me like the D-shaft was too long and bottomed out when you hit, which rammed it into the T-case. If that's the cause, it's definately not Six States fault the measurement was off to begin with.

Box Rocket

bored
hey man we passed you on Fins and Things Saturday afternoon. I was driving the light green Cruiser with a YJ and a ZJ following me. I wondered how those guys in the blazer were doing, lots of bumping and grinding is my guess.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Originally posted by WasatchCruiser
hey man we passed you on Fins and Things Saturday afternoon. I was driving the light green Cruiser with a YJ and a ZJ following me. I wondered how those guys in the blazer were doing, lots of bumping and grinding is my guess.

were you the guy I asked if you knew Kurt? I liked your cruiser. It looks way clean! :) Yeah the blazer actually did really well for how stock it was. It took most of the easy lines. It had a lot of extra frame hanging down where the spring perches are. He probably had a total of 3 inches of ground clearance at that spot. He was pretty low. It was his first wheeling trip and now he's way into it. He wants to buy a more capable rig or set up the blazer better. Something like a 5" lift and 2" body lift on it. That should fit 33's under it.

The Grand was stock for the drive down, then we put on it's 2" coil spacers which helped it out a lot. It was his first wheeling trip as well. That obstacle where you saw us, he took the harder line on the left and got high centered. The guy driving has a totally different driving style than the rest of us in that group. He likes to use power and speed to get him through stuff. He was roasting his tires on that obstacle and his tread which came off of his Apache Radials wasn't just tread, but like gooey tar! He did well for his first trip, he just needs to learn that gas = breakage unless your set up for it! :D Guess he'll learn sooner or later!

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Originally posted by jrussell3176
Sounds to me like the D-shaft was too long and bottomed out when you hit, which rammed it into the T-case. If that's the cause, it's definately not Six States fault the measurement was off to begin with.

Well I remember he now, it was the right size because six states measured it. He has changed the U-joints on the front with no problem telescoping. Also when he put in his Dana 60 it had no problem telescoping then. Last Moab Trip (EJS) He broke a transmission mount which caused his motor mounts to shift and stretch (the rubber stuff) and when he tried to take off the shaft so he could change the mount easier it wouldn't telescope then either.

Yeah it probably isn't Six State's fault, it's just one of those crappy things that happens when wheeling! :confused:

He's just going to ask Six States what they think and see if they will at least give him a new driveshaft, he's not going to push anything though! :D

jrussell3176

Originally posted by tweakeyjeep

Well I remember he now, it was the right size because six states measured it. He has changed the U-joints on the front with no problem telescoping. Also when he put in his Dana 60 it had no problem telescoping then. Last Moab Trip (EJS) He broke a transmission mount which caused his motor mounts to shift and stretch (the rubber stuff) and when he tried to take off the shaft so he could change the mount easier it wouldn't telescope then either.

Yeah it probably isn't Six State's fault, it's just one of those crappy things that happens when wheeling! :confused:

He's just going to ask Six States what they think and see if they will at least give him a new driveshaft, he's not going to push anything though! :D

I know it's a dumb question, but was there enough grease in the splines. If not, they will usually bind pretty easily. I doubt they will do anything, but I guess it's worth a try.;)

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Originally posted by jrussell3176

I know it's a dumb question, but was there enough grease in the splines. If not, they will usually bind pretty easily. I doubt they will do anything, but I guess it's worth a try.;)

I have no idea to tell ya the truth. I haven't been able to get a hold of him since he's come home to get all the "correct" info.

yeah, I doubt they'll do anything either. Maybe fix his shaft for $20! :)