Moab trip

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Moab trip report

got back last night after a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of wheelin. We ran Flat Iron Mesa backwards on Friday. Then Steelbender on Saturday, then hlf of Fins 'n' Things till it rained. Our leader Kevin, Skyline's auto shop teacher, broke an axle and blew a bunch of fuses on his Bronco. By the time we were back to camp, it was too late for an auto store, so a kid in our group went to see what his friend Dan Mick might have sittin around. Dan dug around in an old shed for awhile before coming out with a box labeled "Ford". There happened to be everything needed to fix the Bronco in that box. SRN and I somehow were stuck with the label "Sissy Samy's". I don't know why since we did what everyone else did, oh well. I only suffered two mangled backup lights under my bumper. No big break downs for me. SRN broke a t-case mount and ended up vice gripping it back on, then, so he didn't lose the vice grips, he zip tied them to the frame. This got him off of Steelbender. When I get picks or footage, I'll try to get it on. There is some good footage of me going up a rock ledge and hoping the front tires high up and shifting way over to the right. That's when I came down and smashed those lights out. I would have tried to get up without a winch, but i had to drive home. I met a guy from RME who recognized my junk, but i don't remember who he is. Sorry.

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
You had to bring up the Vise-Grips didn't you?:rolleyes:
Nah, it was a good trip all in all. Flat Iron Backwards was nothing great, we didn't even go out and try Easter Egg, but it seemed like everyone had a good time. Rubble Trouble was the dryest I've ever seen it, and only two people made it up before a Bronco got stuck and we decided to turn around before any of the other stockers got stuck.
We ran Steelbender backwards as well. Again, its an entertaining trail, but nothing to challanging. I got my CB fixed before this trail and got to hear the j**p kids talk some smack. But since I was bringing up the rear (I was a 'chaperone':D) once I got to an obstacle everyone would leave because there was no question that I would make it up! And yes, I broke a t-case mount on this trail. I think that the damage might have begun two weeks ago on Rattlesnake and go finished off that day. So I whipped out the handy Vise-Grips and clamped that sucker back together. It held on the trail, and when we got back into town none of the shops where open so it got me home too!
The only spot I had any trouble with was the last ledge on the way out. Its gotten so dug out that it's become a major obsticle for short wheelbase rigs. I got hung up on my rear diff and I couldn't back down and try a different line. So instead of beaking something I just took a winch.
Sunday I took off in the morning cause my buddy Scott had to get home to study for a big test Monday morning. I look forward to heading down again. So Greg, whens that RME Moab trip?:D

Aw.. I saw Sami when I was down in Moab this weekend.. But I didn't get to see Steve!!

Oh well. I was down mountain biking since I don't have anything to wheel right now. How about all that wind this weekend huh? :)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
where you the guy i met at Chevron? i can't remember a name for the life of me. yeah the wind was pretty bad saturday and sunday. friday was perfect outdoor day though, a very nice day!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Originally posted by ledhead
Aw.. I saw Sami when I was down in Moab this weekend.. But I didn't get to see Steve!!

Oh well. I was down mountain biking since I don't have anything to wheel right now. How about all that wind this weekend huh? :)
I feel your pain Zach. It always sucks when you can't see Steve. He's such a loveable bear of a guy!:cool:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
flat iron mesa, steve, what's this little run called?

those back up lights under the bumper don't live through steelbender the next day. i thought they would be safe there, oops.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
why don't you find out for yourself lazy! Jim brought mine over while lookin for a lost CD of his. I really want the video, espetially me on that ledge on steelbender.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
SAMI, like where ya put the toyuki stickers. We need to get together this weekend, if not wheelin then just chillin. Call me. I got the Zuk runnin today!!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
thanks, i run 32x11.50 sidewinder A/T's. if you've ever heard of those. still have that locked third member? i do take donations.:D

samizook

Yes still have it.:mad: My dad has a zuk also and it scared the hell out of him (pretty much stock!) let alone with an addition of a rear locker, Lift, and Gears. But he does want mine for the front for whatever reason? (bragging, and for scaring all of his 65 year old buddies probably):D. So he's first in line. If he changes his mind, You'll find out.

shmoesmith

I was down in moab this weekend too...winds really sucked driving down 191 back and forth from trails to camp...pulled off poison spider in my sammy with stock suspension and 205/70/r15 tires...didnt even have to air down.....I guess I should start checking this board alot more for people to wheel with instead of pirate4x4 since alot more people are in the same place as I am at the same time from this board..anyway here are some pics of how poison spider is lookin
http://www.geocities.com/shmoesmith/
..i heard the steps were dug out worse this year after jeep safari and cruise moab and farabees jeep rentals was saying that they are going to start rating it as a 4+ now???

I'm probably going to go down to moab again this weekend for memorial day since i cant find anything better to do and i dont have enough money to go anywhere else...anyone interested in going?

-Doug