Moab Weather update!

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
The weather here in moab is as follows:

Fu#^#% wet!!!
Warm but wet! nice drizzle falling and the clouds are all around and dark!
We were able to pack the tent up before the rain really hit but things are muddy at the KOA!

Hope you all are bringing wet weather gear and have your tops on!

John

gijohn40

By about 9am the rain let up for a few hours... we did Hell's revenge and got to tip over challenge and got about 7 of the 15 vehicles over it... it came to my turn and I got to up the first ledge and by that time the second part was wet and slick and so I made several attempts but had to call it quits when the heavy rain then snow started falling and it was just tooo slick for traction so I had to go around... bumber...

As we were coming down from the mountain it let up again and was pretty nice as we were leaving...

it wasn't until about 20 miles before springville that it started snowing on us... but it was a fun weekend getaway! My son got some 4x4 driving skills under his belt and had fun!

They are calling for better weather for the rest of the week but then again its Utah where the weather changes hourly!!!

Have fun down there guys and girls... drink some beer for me seeing I couldn't due to my son is only 17....

jeepgirl

If anyone is going up Douglas Pass towards Grand Junction it was really slippary and snowy roads last night. Just to let you all know.

gksspot

BlackSheep said:
I think that's the only time when the term 'slickrock' actually rings true.

Ive read that when it first gets a little wet that it is still tacky but after it gets soaked its slippery. (Been to Moab 3 times but all were with dry weather)

...this true or the author of the piece smoking something?

gijohn40

gksspot said:
Keep the updates coming...

... your meterology skills surpass those of weather.com :D

By the way, what is traction like when the rock is a little wet?

Lets just say you will not make it up anything steep if the rock is wet... even with both diffs locked and 37-44 in tires... they just sit and spin...

I was not able to make it up tip over challenge due to it was very wet...