Moab with a Hickey

MR4WD

Lost again
So... the story goes the wife and I committed to taking a 6-8 week vacation to tow the Jeep around and wheel "in the U.S" - with very little research leading up to the trip and lots of last minute mods on the Jeep. My work scheduled pushed about 15 days farther into September than I wanted, but things worked out well. I loaded up the camper on the gooseneck, stuck the Jeep on the back (with only one shakedown run since the coilovers) and headed south to meet my buddies in Moab. 2 days and 1500 miles later we made it, wheeled the jeep for 2 days with them and they had to head back. That left us in Moab exploring - which was great. I find things as tame or wild down there as you want them to be, the trails are well laid out and there's a pretty solid comradery between most everybody.

The last day of our experience in Moab I decided to "step it up a bit" (based off the info I gleaned out of the guide book)- but I wanted to keep the jeep together since we had another 7 weeks of trail running to try and wreck it. I read that Poison Spider/Gold Bar Rim/Golden Spike can take a long time to run, so we left early in the morning - got to the trail before the sun really came up , messed around at the little arch for an hour or so, tried to head to Golden Spike, got lost and made it to the arch a different way then we got there the first time. Argh. I spotted two white Jeeps and drilled it for those guys and asked if I could tag along. Moab's a lot to take in if you've never been to see all that red rock (and you leave your GPS in British Columbia)....

Greg summarized the trip pretty well - There's some comedic gold that got left out - we were definitely laughing the whole time. The trail and the group was one of the highlights of the trip. We asked for advice on where to go next, as it was getting late seasonally in the year. Greg suggested Ouray/Telluride with the caveat that it was pretty tame and Chris gave me advice on places not to go, he also gave me his contact info so we could exchange photos - which I promptly lost.

Anyways, we went to Ouray on Greg's advice for a week which was phenomenal, both in terms of location and time of the year, wheeled in the Death Valley area for a few days (kept it tame as we were by ourselves), killed some time checking out touristy shit and then beat up the Jeep at the Chile Challenge - which I highly recommend to everybody that wheels then ventured back to BC... with the jeep intact, albeit much shinier underneath.

I'll post photos up later on - Thanks for the day and the advice guys!

PS, this thread came up when I was youtubing jeep exhaust notes.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So... the story goes the wife and I committed to taking a 6-8 week vacation to tow the Jeep around and wheel "in the U.S" - with very little research leading up to the trip and lots of last minute mods on the Jeep. My work scheduled pushed about 15 days farther into September than I wanted, but things worked out well. I loaded up the camper on the gooseneck, stuck the Jeep on the back (with only one shakedown run since the coilovers) and headed south to meet my buddies in Moab. 2 days and 1500 miles later we made it, wheeled the jeep for 2 days with them and they had to head back. That left us in Moab exploring - which was great. I find things as tame or wild down there as you want them to be, the trails are well laid out and there's a pretty solid comradery between most everybody.

The last day of our experience in Moab I decided to "step it up a bit" (based off the info I gleaned out of the guide book)- but I wanted to keep the jeep together since we had another 7 weeks of trail running to try and wreck it. I read that Poison Spider/Gold Bar Rim/Golden Spike can take a long time to run, so we left early in the morning - got to the trail before the sun really came up , messed around at the little arch for an hour or so, tried to head to Golden Spike, got lost and made it to the arch a different way then we got there the first time. Argh. I spotted two white Jeeps and drilled it for those guys and asked if I could tag along. Moab's a lot to take in if you've never been to see all that red rock (and you leave your GPS in British Columbia)....

Greg summarized the trip pretty well - There's some comedic gold that got left out - we were definitely laughing the whole time. The trail and the group was one of the highlights of the trip. We asked for advice on where to go next, as it was getting late seasonally in the year. Greg suggested Ouray/Telluride with the caveat that it was pretty tame and Chris gave me advice on places not to go, he also gave me his contact info so we could exchange photos - which I promptly lost.

Anyways, we went to Ouray on Greg's advice for a week which was phenomenal, both in terms of location and time of the year, wheeled in the Death Valley area for a few days (kept it tame as we were by ourselves), killed some time checking out touristy shit and then beat up the Jeep at the Chile Challenge - which I highly recommend to everybody that wheels then ventured back to BC... with the jeep intact, albeit much shinier underneath.

I'll post photos up later on - Thanks for the day and the advice guys!

Good to have you here Chad, we all had a fun time with you & Angie on the trail! I was very impressed with your JKU, it's a beautiful build and works amazing!

Glad Ouray and the San Juans treated you well, we love it down there!

PS, this thread came up when I was youtubing jeep exhaust notes.

:eek::rofl::rofl: I don't think Jeremy will live that one down... on a related note, I've decided I want the same exhaust you have! :greg: