Moab with snow

Tonkaman

So I took advantage of a long weekend and made a last minute jaunt down to Moab. My plans are to just hit some easy/moderate trails with the family that are fun for exploring and base camp out of a hotel in town.

I was shocked to see how much snow was still blanketing the ground on the way down here! From Wellington to Moab is solid white! Granted it’s only 1”-2” thick but it’s definitely sitting on a bed of ice. After crescent junction things started to clear up and it got noticeably thinner as we got closer to Moab. Now I’m a bit worried about getting into some icy slickrock and sliding right off a trail.

My loose agenda was:
Saturday - Dome Plateau
Sunday- Spring Canton Bottom into Hey Joe Canyon
Monday- Schafer switchbacks to lathrop canyon

Are those last two a death trap waiting to happen?

What other routes should I think of that are scenic to explore?

Tonkaman

My invite never came through. I guess I will blame my T-mobile.. Cause I know you wouldn't have not sent one!!

I recommend Hells Revenge in the snow.
Honestly, I’m not sure I’d survive that one again! That was seriously so much fun once we were back at the truck.
Schaefer should be all right, it's pretty wide and bermed almost all the way.
That’s good to know. I think we will give it a shot.

Tonkaman

Well, Shafer trail was closed when we got there this morning :(

I decided to go down to White rim the opposite way down the mineral bottom road. The switchbacks were completely covered in snow, but had a set of tracks through so I wasn’t worried. Halfway down we hit leftovers of a landslide. There was a 3’ Boulder blocking half of the road but luckily the Tacoma could just barely squeak past. The trail was snow covered for most of the fun parts and it made the trip so much more exciting! We went as far as potato bottom before we turned around since we were running out of daylight.