More about Chop Saws...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I don't seem to have any problems with glazing the blades, but... I tend to burn out the motors with surprising frequency. Anyone else have a problem with this? I have a Dewalt chop saw, and I burned up the motor within the first year, got it fixed under warranty, and now it's burned out again. Anyone actually paid to get one fixed? How much? Which chop saw is better than this POS Dewalt? I was gonna go pick up a Milwaukee, and then I saw the new Craftsman one. I'm not normally a fan of Craftsman power tools, but this thing looks really nice, and they can't keep it in stock (or I'd already have one). Tell me what you know!

i'm no electrician, but if you don't have enough juice to the saw it with eat it self up,or if you have a really long extention cord it will loose too much through it,plus if you lug it down too much where the rpm drops off too much
i have got a millwaulkee that has been going strong for 6 years
(quick ! where is some wood!)
oh well if it goes now it don't owe me anything,
go for the craftsman! it's new and shinny:p

Shrock

I burned up a Dewalt Chop saw too in about 3mo of use. Nice features but a POS motor. Look on the motor tag "Made in China", argh.

One of the best things I ever did was buy some generic blades for it. I was truly amazed at the difference. The dewalt blades suck! The generic blades cut faster, smoother and with less vibration.

I addition to the info posted above, dont let it bog down too much. Also, be careful cutting angles. The materials slides into the blade causing it to bog worse and cut crooked. I use an extra clamp when cutting angles.

I bought a Hitachi dry cut carbide, but I'd look at the HD Rigid if I were buying another abrasive. It looks sweet. Milwaukee's have a good rep too.

Last edited:

Shrock

Thanks, damn look under my name! I guess I better work on posting some useful stuff and get my post count up.