More mods to my WR450

rholbrook

A while back I rode a KLR450X that had KX450 Cams put in it. That thing pulled hard and long. Since then I have been wondering what I could do to my WR450. After many hours searching our wonderful internet I found some information about being able to put a YZ450 Exhaust Cam in a WR450 and it will wake them right up. Apparently, Yamaha advanced the exhaust cams on the WRs by 13.5 degrees allowing them to pass the strick emissions and allowing them to get the green sticker in California.

I searched and found a guy willing to sell me his exhaust cam for $30 ($200 new) because he was putting a custom head on his 2006 YZ. Today I pulled the WR apart, adjusted the valves and put in the new exhaust cam. All I have to say is WOW. It now pulls really hard and long.

I was told that there are 5 differences in the YZ and WR.
1. 5th gear
2. Heavier flywheel.
3. Exhaust Cam
4. Exhaust Pipe
5. Lights

The type of riding I do wouldn't work with a straight YZ but If I can get YZ like performance and keep it from flaming out with a heaver flywheel and RevLok D-ring I will be set. I have ridden it around the block and love the power. Now I just need to go for a trail ride.

Who wants to come with me?

Corban_White

Russ, I think this is the next mod you need to do to the WR. Winter is comming!

snowbike1.jpg

rholbrook

When I made more money than my wife and kids could spend I actually looked into one of these kits. There are actually two of them out there. They do look fun but I can't imagine them being funner than a good sled. Its almost time to go sledding. I will have to take you up Farmington Canyon and show you the fun spots up there.

Corban_White

That kit is new this year. It is from Timbersled who makes rear skids for sleds. This is the first kit that I have ever seen that actually uses a snowmobile suspension and has better attack angle than a treadmill. :)You should read some of the reviews.......long time sledders are absolutely loving this kit. I am very interested in a demo ride......once the snow gets here I will be checking into it. I would love to have you show me the good spots up farmington. I will have to see if my pride can handle a ride with you. :)