More than just a CCW Class

pkrfctr

Don't know if its already been mentioned, I confess to not reading the entire thread. The BSA, NRA offer great firearm classes. BSA leaders are required to take them in order to be certified to take youth shooting. They offer various classes depending on the firearm- pistol, rifle, shotgun and Range safety officer. These are really good classes and arent near as spendy as private training. I know here in Utah county they offer the classes regularly at the orem BSA offices.

pkrfctr

I took a tactical/defensive pistol course that definitely made me feel more comfortable carrying concealed. The course consisted of about 2 hours in the classroom discussing your response to different situations, cover vs. concealment, how to move and think while in a active shooter or other scenarios. The classroom session was followed by about 2 hours on the range shooting from different positions, shoot/reload/shoot, drawing from your holster. Lastly was some "force-on-force" using simunition rounds.

As far as guns with kids, my wife and I made an effort educate our 5 yr old (as much as can be done) on what guns are and what they're not. She knows not to touch a gun and to grab an adult if she finds one. This may be a bit controversial, but we're planning on getting her a .22 rifle soon so she can begin to appreciate, respect, and enjoy firearms.

Your situation/results may vary, but this has worked for us.

We bought our sons first .22 rifle when he was 9ish. Had to buy a collapsible stock so he could shot it.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have shot competitively since I was pretty young. I've won in several disciplines at the state level. My father is one of the best shooters in the state in any discipline. He has won state championships in everything from trap to archery, IDPA to Cowboy action and long range/bench rest. He taught me everything I know and I have taught my kids, several of which have won state championships. I have no military or police training but I have a pretty good understanding of firearm handling and shooting which to me is the basis for being tactically prepared to carry a gun. I carry often and have done for over a decade. While I'm not a formally trained instructor and have never been in a firefight, I have a decent amount of experience and could offer the average person or especially a beginner some useful information.

If there is any interest, I would be willing to put on a non shooting, just handling and firearms safety class for RME.

We could cover a lot of things even people who know how to shoot accurately don't consider like backstops in your home, how to carry, how to keep your kids safe from YOUR guns, when to shoot and when to run, holster and gun selection as well as basic firearms safety. None of this would be etched in stone, scientifically provable beyond a shadow of a doubt, but in this arena, I have found very few things that are. Even the most respected firearms instructors disagree on certain caveats. What it would do is serve as a base of information to contemplate and make your own more informed choices. I have done this with a half dozen people who have gotten into shooting sports as well as 2 dozen friends, family and coworkers and they seem to have gotten some value from it.

I have a decent size garage that we could all gather in and discuss things. I also have a few handguns (mostly Glocks, go figure) and several types of carry holsters. Would this be something people would be interested in?

The RME community far outpaces my knowledge or skill in fabrication or wheeling, this is one area I feel like I could contribute. Kind of like a Quarterly Training day but with guns.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I'd love to be in on that also.. But would be happy to give up my spot for someone who is more begginer than me..

Jeromy

I took a refresher Ccw class a few months ago with some friends who wanted to get theirs. I found an instructor on Facebook. His company is called Utahfast.com This was the third time I have sat in a class and he was by far the best on firearm safety. I would highly recommend him as an option for the class. He went above and beyond the required materials.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have shot competitively since I was pretty young. I've won in several disciplines at the state level. My father is one of the best shooters in the state in any discipline. He has won state championships in everything from trap to archery, IDPA to Cowboy action and long range/bench rest. He taught me everything I know and I have taught my kids, several of which have won state championships. I have no military or police training but I have a pretty good understanding of firearm handling and shooting which to me is the basis for being tactically prepared to carry a gun. I carry often and have done for over a decade. While I'm not a formally trained instructor and have never been in a firefight, I have a decent amount of experience and could offer the average person or especially a beginner some useful information.

If there is any interest, I would be willing to put on a non shooting, just handling and firearms safety class for RME.

We could cover a lot of things even people who know how to shoot accurately don't consider like backstops in your home, how to carry, how to keep your kids safe from YOUR guns, when to shoot and when to run, holster and gun selection as well as basic firearms safety. None of this would be etched in stone, scientifically provable beyond a shadow of a doubt, but in this arena, I have found very few things that are. Even the most respected firearms instructors disagree on certain caveats. What it would do is serve as a base of information to contemplate and make your own more informed choices. I have done this with a half dozen people who have gotten into shooting sports as well as 2 dozen friends, family and coworkers and they seem to have gotten some value from it.

I have a decent size garage that we could all gather in and discuss things. I also have a few handguns (mostly Glocks, go figure) and several types of carry holsters. Would this be something people would be interested in?

The RME community far outpaces my knowledge or skill in fabrication or wheeling, this is one area I feel like I could contribute. Kind of like a Quarterly Training day but with guns.

I think this would be great! Kevin and I live just down the street from each other in Magna. Maybe we could meet out this way for class instruction then do something at LeeKay as it's close by too.

I need to talk this over with the Mrs. though. I see her being more comfortable one on one instead of a class room setting. Maybe we could do something like that as well. I'd be willing to pay you for your time in either scenario.

I'll be gone the next few days, but will check this when I get back. Heading to the Swell!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The next few weeks are pretty busy for me too. I'll be out of town a few times. I'll check my schedule and see when I could work this. I'll post back once I have something figured out. I'm in Ut county but could come up there since that seems closer for most of you guys. I work Wed thru Sat so a monday or Tuesday will most likely work best, possibly a Wed.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I need to talk this over with the Mrs. though. I see her being more comfortable one on one instead of a class room setting.

Do a husband+wife session with just 3 couples maybe.

This is a great idea and kudos to Glockman for offering to do something like this.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Do a husband+wife session with just 3 couples maybe.

This would work.

So far I have interest from UT410, Rock Taco, Unstuck and spouse, Brian and spouse?, Kevin and spouse.

I work all three of those days so I've got no preference.

Would a Sunday work better for some? I know the original post from Unstuck mentioned church so I didn't list Sunday but I am off Sundays as well. I am totally ok with putting two of these together based on day of the week, group size or location.

Would Sunday the 7th work for any of those interested?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'd really like to take your class glockman. Sundays are hard for me. Usually pretty busy. Any other evening or anytime on a saturday. Sounds like there is enough interest that you could just pull the trigger on a date and people will show up. Thanks for this offer.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
This would work.

So far I have interest from UT410, Rock Taco, Unstuck and spouse, Brian and spouse?, Kevin and spouse.

Would a Sunday work better for some? I know the original post from Unstuck mentioned church so I didn't list Sunday but I am off Sundays as well. I am totally ok with putting two of these together based on day of the week, group size or location.

Would Sunday the 7th work for any of those interested?

I'm fairly confident my wife and I would be interested also. Sundays are difficult most times but Sat or Friday afternoon or similar would be great