Mortgage Rates

Brad J

We locked in today on a 15 yr @ 3.25% with America First Credit Union. They said it may take 40 days to close due to the rates causing so much business. We have been with Bank of America (formerly Coutrywide) & love the idea of dealling only with AFCU now.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Were using a broker, provident mortgage. Its a friend of a friend. Could have went lower, even into 2.85 territory. But I didn't want to pay that much. We got a swinging deal, saved almost 700 dollars using the friend over the next closest credit union. I hate this crap though, always a better deal on the next horizon. Plus side is another friend is doing the title work, so hopefully more savings!
I figured it out and we want to move in hopefully 7-8 years. We would walk away with maybe 38 k at current prices on a 30 year at our current 4.625 rate. By switching to 15 year we get almost 100k and out payment only goes up 125 a month. Can't wait, built in saving plan!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I need to bump this thread and ask for recommendations for mortgage lenders.

We're building in WVC and looking for a conventional but possibly jumbo mortgage. We expect to be ready to move in around Thanksgiving so if I understand it right we are close enough we can lock in an interest rate now. I've been watching rates fairly close the last 6 months and am a little bummed that they seem to have just passed 5% but whatever. I need to talk to a few people though to see whats up. We are wanting to be able to "recast" payments due to our semi-unique situation.

I searched for more recent threads and know its come up this year but didn't see them in the 5-10 minutes of looking I did.

Thanks.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I need to bump this thread and ask for recommendations for mortgage lenders.

We're building in WVC and looking for a conventional but possibly jumbo mortgage. We expect to be ready to move in around Thanksgiving so if I understand it right we are close enough we can lock in an interest rate now. I've been watching rates fairly close the last 6 months and am a little bummed that they seem to have just passed 5% but whatever. I need to talk to a few people though to see whats up. We are wanting to be able to "recast" payments due to our semi-unique situation.

I searched for more recent threads and know its come up this year but didn't see them in the 5-10 minutes of looking I did.

Thanks.

PM coming

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Right on. These help me shop a little which I want. One of the two builders has a mortgage company that we did the construction loan through. We are going to look at his rates compared to what we see elsewhere and go from there.

Thanks.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
We had a great experience with Box Home Loans last time we refinanced. All of their info and application was online. They sent someone to our home to close. Very convenient, great rate, no surprises!

Same. I've used them twice now.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone else looking at refinancing? The Fed has been lowering interest rates and they keep trickling down.... looks like a 30 yr mortgage is around 3.15%. We're at 3.8% now, I'm going to look into a refi and see what kind of payment we'd end up with. It looks like we might be able to save $400/month, which would be worth it.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I refinanced to 3.875 a year ago and have been watching rates wondering if it'd be worth while doing it again. I'm torn because I'd love to drop to a 15 or 20 but my property taxes adjusted up from just the lot to the lot plus house and I don't know that I can stomach an increase as we work to eliminate our escrow deficit.

Troop92

Don't forget to consider fees and all that. Those add up quickly and have to be rolled into the loan if you can afford them upfront.

We refinanced in December and locked in at 3.3%. it would have to be much lower to be worth it for us.

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Any luck with someone like Lending Tree or Box Home Loans?

We've always used Academy Mortgage but it seems like everyone is so busy they don't really need to offer a high level of customer service. They've got more business than they can handle.

The rates and fees seem lower using one of the .com services.