Motor swap question

TSMITH360

Has anyone ever swapped a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville ssei supercharged 3.8L into a TJ ?
I’m not having any luck finding a way to adapt a transmission to the engine. It looks like it has a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the Chevy 3.8L I was wanting to use a 700r4 or a turbo 400. I’ve called Novak and advanced adapters with no luck. I’m starting to think this may not be a good swap. Any help would be great thank you in advance.

Agility Customs

Vendor
That motor is not worth swapping in IMO, way better options out there thats going to cost the same amount of money once your all said and done.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The Buick 3800 shares bolt patterns with the other GM 60* V6s like the super terdy 2.8. What trans is in your TJ?

Next question is... why? 3800 isn't considered super powerful by today's standards, and it'd be cheaper to slap a turbo or SC on your current engine, wouldn't it?

4x4_Welder

The S10 used the 2.8 for a few years in the 80s, as did the Firebird/Camero, but neither had the great of a transmission. IIRC it was the TH200. The 4.3 got the 4L60 then the 4L60E.
The Isuzu Trooper used the 2.8 as well, and I believe it was backed up by the AW71, which is pretty reliable. I had a Volvo 245 Turbo that had over 340k on it on the original, and nobody had been nice to that car ever.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Behind my 3800 I used a TF904/999 from a mid 80s Jeep XJ with a GM 2.8V6. It was a good transmission option as it bolted up to the Dana 300 I used - no adapters at all between the Buick engine, Jeep XJ transmission, and Jeep CJ transfer case.

TSMITH360

The Buick 3800 shares bolt patterns with the other GM 60* V6s like the super terdy 2.8. What trans is in your TJ?

Next question is... why? 3800 isn't considered super powerful by today's standards, and it'd be cheaper to slap a turbo or SC on your current engine, wouldn't it?
My Tj currently has the factory 2.5l with the ax5 transmission I picked up the supercharged 3.8l for free and I want to put a automatic transmission in it possibly the 700r4 or the turbo 400. My struggle is finding a motor to trans

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Advantages of the Series II 3800 V6:
- extremely compact
- relatively efficient
- track record of good overall reliability
- blown engine makes decent power (240 HP, 280 tq) stock
- blown engine known for its stout internal hardware and ability to handle much more power
- blown engine makes happy supercharger sounds

They never offered a supercharged 3800 in RWD guise, but they did offer the n/a 3800 in RWD in the late 4th-gen F-Body. If you need a block set up for RWD, maybe you could get one of those blocks and then stuff it with the supercharged hardware? Just a thought.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
The 3800 is heavy, Heat soak becomes a problem on trail days when your creeping along. Dealing with boost just to make 240 horsepower seems like a waste of boost.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple which is why I would go with the 5.3 in that application. No power adders to mess with, parts are relatively inexpensive and will wheel all day long cool and excellent on and off-road manners. Parts are available easily if out of town and you need something. Will easily put out over 300hp with no power adders, did I already mention that you won't need any power adders?:D

Mike

4x4_Welder

While I'm generally not a GM fan, they did get the LS architecture pretty close to right. At work we have about 25 delivery vans powered by L96 6 liters, and they do pretty good. Generally 150k without any real headaches. They do have occasional issues with the variable valve timing actuator if they're not maintained well, the oil pump pickup is a poor design and they like to wear the cam bearings a bit quick, but that's the rebuilder's problem.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Yeah, any engine with VVT or CVVT needs to have the maintenance kept up to par or the actuators will give grief. I've seen those L96's go close to 300k with normal maintenance and not abused. Same with the LMG's if not flogged on or worked hard. The all-aluminum LS's seem to go a couple hundred thousand without too many issues if maintained properly.

Mike