Mounting an ipad, iphone, gps, etc to roll bar?

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Since I've been traveling around in my van, I've been using maps loaded on my ipad which I have mounted on my dash using a Pro-clip mount.
IMG_5975.JPG

Its been super handy and this past weekend I was driving around in BlackSheep with a buddy on some property that his family owns - old logging roads and what not. I had these same maps uploaded on my phone so I was able to get a sense of where we were on the property.

The problem is that I don't have a mount in my Jeep.

I have a 2" bar across / above my dash in the Jeep and I'd like to find a clamp to attach a mount to the bar.

From Amazon I see things like this:
1614606390941.png

I think I could adapt the pro-clip mount to that if I needed to.

I see a clamp that Ram Mount has - it's a simple hose clamp

I'm wondering what others are using to mount their phone / ipad / gps to their roll bars?

Attachments

• 1614606641737.png
    1614606641737.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Bart

I bought a set of those for a light bar in the front of my Jeep and 1 broke on installation. I'm sure others may have had luck with them, but I I went back to steel.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I have not bought one of these from RMATV, but they look like good quality and come in different sizes.

I saw those as well. The question for me is the angle of the tab relative to the clamp and how to adapt the iPad mount.
I have a couple of these - work well with gopro and other things.

View attachment 135306
That's what I'm talking about. I'll dig into those. They're probably just what I need. Thanks, I knew they're would be some good responses.

Keep them coming though - maybe someone else has some other good mounts they've found.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'll say one thing, make that ipad mount as burly as possible. We just went to a new logbook/coms tablet that's basically a mini-ipad. They used a large RAM mount and it shakes like mad when your just idling the truck.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I'll say one thing, make that ipad mount as burly as possible. We just went to a new logbook/coms tablet that's basically a mini-ipad. They used a large RAM mount and it shakes like mad when your just idling the truck.
I'm not really a fan of the ram mounts - it doesn't really look secure to me. The Proclip in my van holds well, although I haven't been on the same terrain that I'll take the Jeep.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm not really a fan of the ram mounts - it doesn't really look secure to me. The Proclip in my van holds well, although I haven't been on the same terrain that I'll take the Jeep.

One thing I am a fan of is the WixGear magnet mounts. They hold my phone on the dash of my work truck without movement over the roughest of terrain. I realize a full size iPad is a lot more weight, but four of their rectangle magnets would have no problem holding a mini iPad in place. You might consider using one or two to support some other type of mount.