Moving a Shed

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have a shed in my yard that needs to be moved from one location to another. The distance is not far, but the shed is some what large. The shed is 12'x12' and about 8' in total height and made like a Tuff Shed. I was thinking about putting a highlift on each corner and lifting it up enough to clear the side rails on my car hauler (32") and then setting it down on the trailer. But I started thinking how unstable the shed would be if being help up just by highlifts. I also thought I could wrap a strap around the shed holding the highlifts tight up to the shed. I just don't like it that way....
Now I have come up with the idea of tipping the shed back by lifting up the front and sliding the trailer under the shed as far as I can, then using a strap to pull the shed down onto the trailer..... :eek: Given the size of the shed, how far do you think I can tip the shed before it wants to go over?
Can anyone think af another option other than a complete disassembly.

Thanks,

notajeep

Just me
a furniture dolly under each corner and a winch...?
4 long 2x4's under it spaced evenly and 8 close friends...? (you would be supervising ofcourse).
2 long 2x12 under it facing the way that you want to move it. Bevel the leading edges like a pair of skies. attach the shed to the boards and pull across the yard.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
get some 6x6 lumber, jack up the shed, you can get jacks over at diamond rental to do this, slide the 6x6's under and secure them to the shed. Then run some more lumber perpendicular and grease them so you can slide the whole shed on them.

GETBENT

CRASH
Buy a bunch of Helium Balloons and string them to it just as it starts to lift it up, simply push it where you need it! It should work great, I saw it in a movie once.

footin fool

Get some 2x4x12's, place them under the shed and slide the it. Get enough to move it the length of the shed and then ove the 2x's. Use a truck or if you have one a tractor to push it. Yo can also use a wich and pull it. Thats how we moved ours . Good luck

kirk86CJ

footin fool said:
Get some 2x4x12's, place them under the shed and slide the it. Get enough to move it the length of the shed and then ove the 2x's. Use a truck or if you have one a tractor to push it. Yo can also use a wich and pull it. Thats how we moved ours . Good luck

I did this with mine(twice), I also used some pipes for rollers. I used 2"x12" 's

I was only moving mine about 15-20 feet, and it was flat.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
If it's a fairly flat run, you could put some pipe lengths under it and push wherever you need to. You just have to keep moving the back pipe to the front as you go. This is how I move my heavy shop stuff around.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Thanks for the ideas. I have some 15' logs that are about 10-12" around that might work well traversing accross the terrain.

Thanks,

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I still think the trailer idea is the best yet. Put a strap or your winch on the same side you are jacking up, to prevent tipping over.

DToy

I used a hi lift on each front corner of mine, and a genie lift on the back to lift mine up enough to set it on my trailer rails. The hi lifts actually weren't that bad, but i guess having them at all 4 corners might be a little scary. The logs sound like a good option if you don't want to use the trailer. Or rent a big forklift and move it that way.