Muffler recommendations

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Hey guys, so I have a 99 Suburban with the 7.4 vortec. The muffler isn’t that old and it’s already broken inside and out to the point the tail pipe flops around and it rattles like crazy. I’ve welded it without much luck and all the hangers are in good shape. I don’t ‘think’ there are any quality oem style size/fit mufflers out there for this vehiclewhich makes me think it will just happen again.

Does anyone have experience with 50 series flow masters? The build quality seems much better... I haul a 24’ camp trailer from time to time so I’m in the throttle a lot when towing in mountains. My worry is that it will be too loud... I know the 40’s are loud but what about the 50’s?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
In the Flowmaster chart above, the '50 Series Big Block' muffler is specifically designed for our Suburbans. It is a direct fit replacement for the stock muffler, while also flowing quite a bit better... and it was designed to not produce excessive drone inside the cabin (which would not be as big of a concern for a pickup truck).

I put this muffler on my Suburban right after I bought it (back in 2013), and I've been very happy with it ever since. Well, okay--there are times when I wish it were louder. The noise level is pleasantly muted to the point that it is unobtrusive.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have ran the 40 series in my crawler and it was too loud. Swapped those out for the 50 series and they were much better. I run the 50 series in my hot rod and love the sound. I also run the Pro series in my CJ7 due to room, very low rumble.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I swapped a 40 series out of the buggy last year with a near factory replacement for the 4.0L. I can't believe I waited so long... now I don't have to kill the motor every single time to talk to a passenger. That thing was annoying.

The funny thing is people used to ask me what motor I had before with the stupid 40 series. Now they just say "oh that's a 4.0L" X-D

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I swapped a 40 series out of the buggy last year with a near factory replacement for the 4.0L. I can't believe I waited so long... now I don't have to kill the motor every single time to talk to a passenger. That thing was annoying.

The funny thing is people used to ask me what motor I had before with the stupid 40 series. Now they just say "oh that's a 4.0L" X-D

That's awesome! Quiet is good these days. I had a 16-in cherry bomb on my old old Cherokee and my ex-girlfriend didn't even know I swapped the exhaust. It was the exact same loudness as stock.