Mulching Mower

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Super Moderator
I've been mulching my lawn instead of bagging for the last year. I'm using the dual-purpose blade that came with my John Deere mower. Now I'm wondering if I would get better results with a dedicated mulching blade. Do any of you know anything about this stuff?

UT410

RME's Holistic Healer
Supporting Member
I think you'll definitely find better results with a mulching blade vs a combo. The way a mulching blade is shaped (sharper-curved blade) you'll lose most of the ability to discharge and bag.

I was surprised by how much bagging of clippings happens here in Salt Lake. If I had to bag all the clippings on my lawn, I'd have to either stop a few times and empty or mow it twice a week.

Also, I'd say that if you mulch, you should thatch (some call it dethatch) your lawn once a year. Right now, mine could use it, too.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
What he said. Mulching is a much better way to go. My Honda has a dual blade system. It mulches fine. I have been doing landscaping for several years now. The biggest thing is to make sure your blade is sharp.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Super Moderator
It's been doing okay, today I noticed it leaving quite a bit of large clippings on top. I sharpened the blade and removed the thick buildup of crap under the mower. I think it will be quite a bit better now, but I like the idea of trying a dedicated mulching blade. Any recommended brands?

UT410

RME's Holistic Healer
Supporting Member
I don't know anything about blade brands. If I had the choice, I'd get something made in the U.S. Other than that, a mulching blade is a mulching blade.

Hickey

The Dark One
Supporting Member
I like the gator blades for mulching.

Pick up a thatching blade (orange plastic pegs in the blade) and thatch/bag right away. Your lawn gets plugged up with clippings after mulching for too long.

UT410

RME's Holistic Healer
Supporting Member
Now that we've gotten that settled, THIS is a pimp mower. Mark Moriarity, built it. There's a build thread on the HAMB about it.

leader1.jpg