Muriatic acid bath for removing mill scale

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Sooo with some mention of people using muriatic acid (37% Hydrochloric acid) to remove zinc or other coatings off of parts, and also in the name of experimenting, I'm going to use some muriatic acid to remove the mill scale from some steel in order to make building my winch bumper an easier and better process. I don't really recall seeing any threads on here that go into detail about it so I'll share what I do.

From some research, the mill scale on mild steel is just part of the manufacturing process, when the steel is hotrolled into a plate, the mill scale forms on the exterior surfaces of the steel as the steel cools down from the processes of working the plate, and eventually forms a layer of hard material (harder than the center of the steel). Because of the surface of the mill scale it naturally helps delay rusting of the steel, but it also makes paint, powdercoat and other coatings less likely to adhere properly, and also can effect your welds a little (most noticeable in TIG welding) so for a few reasons I'm choosing to work with steel with no mill scale.

A few options;

• I could have removed the mill scale mechanically, with abrasives, (grinder disc/flap wheel/DA sander etc) but I've done that before on small parts and it's a PITA, noisy, time consuming and can leave a sub-par finish if you happen to get grinder marks too deep etc. Could also just have the parts sandblasted but that's just an extra step too, especially where most people have to take the parts to a sandblasting company to have their parts blasted.

•I could have bought HRPO (Hot Rolled, Pickled and Oiled) plate, which essentially is basically buying an entire sheet that has already been bathed in muriatic acid at the steel plant to remove the mill scale, and then coated with a film of an oil to help prevent flash-rusting. Further down the road when I finally get a plasma cutter again for my plasma table, I'll likely go this route to avoid the hassle of dealing with mill scale at all, but HRPO comes at a higher initial cost and not all steel suppliers always carry it.

•Option 3, I try messing around with DIY muriatic acid for stripping the mill scale and see how it goes.

Bought 2 gallons ($7.50 each) at a swimming pool supply store in Sandy, and from watching Breaking Bad I know that hydrochloric acid doesn't eat Polyethylene plastic ;) so I also bought a Rubbermaid polyethylene storage tote at Home Depot ($17)

I didn't want to get too large of a storage tote so that my 2 gallons of acid would actually fill up the bottom of the tote enough to cover the steel completely. I had an 18"x24"x.25" steel plate I was planning on using for my frame-tie ins, but struggled with finding any tote that could completely fit the steel in the bottom. I could have bought a polyethylene rectangular box from a few places that were specifically made with this kind of thing in mind (flat bottom, thick material, 90° corners and walls etc) but most of what I could find was around $100 anyways so I will give the storage tote a shot and see how it goes first.

Found a tote that was about 26"x15" in the bottom, so I cut my steel plate to 14" of width off the one side so that left me with a piece that's 24"x14" and that will still give me enough room to make both of my frame tie-in plates.
IMG_5446.JPG

Dropped it in and poured in the first gallon of muriatic acid and found that I didn't need the 2nd gallon in order to cover the whole plate, so I only poured in the one gallon.

IMG_5447.JPG

You can see some of the fumes that instantly started coming off the acid, I'm wearing neoprene gloves and a painting respirator but still held my breath and tried to keep out of the fumes as much as possible as the fumes can do some burns to your lungs and eyes and stuff.

IMG_5448.JPG

P.s. I'm doing this on my back deck as I don't want to deal with the fumes etching all my tools and stuff in my garage. I'll let you know if doing it on my deck was a mistake lol.

I couldn't find any info on how the acid performs in cold temperatures, other than its freezing point was like -50° C or something so I didn't have to worry about that. Current temps here are 29° F. I'll see if that effects what needs done. From my research I've found I should need to let it bath for about two hours in order to remove the scale, but I'll see how much the size of my plate and or temps effect that.

When it's done I'll neutralize the acid with a baking soda solution.

It's currently been in for about 45 minutes and I'll flip it over here soon, I welcome any tips or comments.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Just flipped it over after one hour. This is the side that has been on the bottom for the whole first hour, oddly, the top looked pretty much untouched except around the edges, but there was still 98% of the millscale showing. When I flipped it over however most of the millscale was gone. I would have thought that it would have been the other way around where the steel is sitting directly on the almost flat bottom of the tote and wasn't getting much acid circulation to the bottom side.

Again, this is the side that was on the bottom for one hour. Most of the millscale is gone except for the areas where the tote was apparently touching directly to the steel. I am guessing that it will probably be closer to three or four hours of bathing instead of the two, in order to get all the scale off.
IMG_5449.JPG

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Well I ended up letting it sit for 5 hours to just make sure that all the scale was removed. I think if I had 4 very small polyethylene pointy 'cones' to where I could support the steel off of the floor of the tub it would cut down on time a lot, as the last two hours I was mainly just waiting on the spots that were obviously coming in contact with the plastic tote.

All done, I mixed up about 1/4 lb of baking soda into 5 qts of hot water and just poured it into the storage tote lid to neutralize the muriatic acid.

IMG_5458.JPG

I think this was definitely worth the experiment. Definitely beats grinding it all off as I can do other stuff while the steel is soaking.

While I'm waiting for funds on getting another plasma cutter I used Bendtechs full size printing function to print out some sticker templates so I can still accurately locate my holes to line up with my chassis.

IMG_5462.JPG
IMG_5463.JPG

Not stuck on here yet but you get the idea. I'll Center punch on the "+" marks, throw it in the drill press, then cut around the edges.

IMG_5464.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work! This will come in handy in the future! I hate working with dirty steel. Do you think it will stay clean or will is rust quickly if left on the shelf now that it's naked?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That's cool, thanks for sharing! Glad you learned something legal & useful from Breaking Bad! :D

Also digging the BendTech template creation & use.... it'll be fun to see your bumper come together.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Nice work! This will come in handy in the future! I hate working with dirty steel. Do you think it will stay clean or will is rust quickly if left on the shelf now that it's naked?

I think it will be fine for the duration of my bumper build in the garage, but it does feel slightly 'rough' to the touch almost like it's been sandblasted with fine sand, so with the rough surface that means there's tons of area for moisture grab onto so it definitely could rust faster. I'll pay attention to that too and report.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Wonder if weld-thru primer would be worth tossing on, until you're ready to paint?

I have some sitting on the shelf but haven't used it yet, could give it a shot. Luckily we live where it's dry, I don't know how those people in high humidity areas deal with everything rusting immediately ha.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Had to go run some errands but I made it home and hit it with a quick squirt of phosphoric acid to wash off the baking soda residue and help inhibit any flash rusting.

It's been kind of a process, but as far as labor intensive it's practically zero. Used $7.50 worth of muriatic acid (but can still do other parts), probably like .15¢ worth of baking soda and maybe .15¢ worth of phosphoric acid. Still way cheaper and practically no labor compared to messing around with abrasives.

And just for kicks, here's the 4" strip I had to cut off my plate in order to fit it in the storage tote. The muriatic acid is definitely seeming to lose its potency, I let this soak for about 11 hours. I have some laser-cut artec brackets that got rusty that I currently have in a 5 gallon bucket of the rest of the muriatic acid, I threw in the other gallon I had to revamp the acid.

IMG_5471.JPG

Last edited:

Bart

Great thread. I had no idea muriatic acid would remove mill scale. I bought my last gallon at Lowes to clean up some cement from a porch project.

thenag

Crap. I'm a pool guy and didn't think of that, I am very familiar with muriatic acid.

There is a product called ACID Magic that is almost as strong and muriatic acid but has 90% less fumes. Ask your pool supplier about it. I have purchased it directly from Brody Chemical. It will be more expansive but lack of fumes make it worth it if you are working with it.

When acid washing a pool (which I don't do often... thankfully) I use my 3M ff402 full face mask, with acid rated cartridges. With muriatic acid you want the full face protection (not only to keep acid from your eyes) but to keep the fumes out of your eyes.

Getting muriatic acid on your skin isn't that bad, be sure to use gloves. If you get it in a cut it hurts worse than brake cleaner. My main concerns with it are my eyes and lungs.

Nathan

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Yeah for sure. The axle brackets I had too turned out awesome, looked better than that did when new. I can definitely see this stuff coming in handy so I'm going to try out some different setups down the road

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
A lot of guys on plasma spider use it to clean their parts they cut on their plasma tables. It will rip the mill scale off as well as any dross left over from plasma cutting. You have to be careful leaving it around any bare metal, It will cause any steel close to it to rust just from natural evaporation it puts off. A lot of them will keep their tanks outside of their shops with a sealed lid.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
The acid used in Breaking Bad was hydrofluoric (HF)... totally different animal lol.

Acid decomposition rates are very temperature dependent... heat the acid to about 100 deg F and put the lid on so everything doesn't evaporate out and you wont have to wait hours.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
The acid used in Breaking Bad was hydrofluoric (HF)... totally different animal lol.

Acid decomposition rates are very temperature dependent... heat the acid to about 100 deg F and put the lid on so everything doesn't evaporate out and you wont have to wait hours.

Good call, for some reason I was thinking they used HCl. And yeah that definitely makes sense on the temp. I think even with ordering HRPO plate in the future I'll still have use for just having a container of muriatic acid around.