my 1988 toyota 4runner

my 1988 toyota 4runner aka "The chick magnet"

Owners Name & City- Tyler Roundy, Orem, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- 1988 Toyota 4runner

Engine- 3.0L v6, with upgraded radiator.

Transmission- Stock 5 speed manual trans.

T-Case- Stock

Axles- Stock

Suspension- Bastard Spring Pack in the Rear, and a ball joint spacer for the front

Wheels and Tires- 15 inch rims and 33's

Winch- none

Favorite Trails- never been on a trail yet.

Other- custom front bumper and trail gear rock sliders!

I am currently 17, Jr. in high school. This is my first vehicle. I got it for what I think is a good deal. clearly needs work, but i'm going to be going to MATC in lehi to become an auto technition. I am still a newb when it comes to cars and will need all the help i can get. I bought it with the hopes my parents would let me tag along in their insurance.... BOY WAS I WRONG!!! so on top of school, I will be in search of a job to pay for my own insurance. ( oh well, cant be unemployed forever )

this is how it sits now.

Last edited:

crawler dude12

That's a great starting vehicle. If you ever want to go hit some trails hit me up. 8014006427 I just live in Springville.
thanks! I have a lot to do before i take it out. I have to find a job to register/insure it, and before i take it out i would like to have at least sliders made up. But, i will for sure hit you up if i ever want to go hit up a trail.

crawler dude12

thanks! I'm trying to decide what to do with it. It's in pretty rough shape... and its missing a lot of interior plastic pieces. and the carpet needs to go. should i replace the carpet or just do a spray in bedliner?

ricsrx

I would pull the carpet, take it to the car wash or if you have a pressure washer, clean it up, you will be going to JC Whitney for carpet at over $100 bones, save your money

crawler dude12

so, with this being my first vehicle and all... I have no clue where to start with it. It runs and drives just fine, all the glass is intact.

issues with it that i can see/ know about.

-power steering pump is bad. (still drive-able)
-it needs a hood latch cable.
-the speedometer cable is going bad.
-some interior plastics are either cracked, broken, or missing.
-the stereo needs the speakers put in and cleaned up.
-the front ball joint spacers are not mounted yet.
-the rear diff is leaking.
-I would like to go through and replace all of the locks and key.

STAG

On my grind
Bedliner is a great alternative to carpet, but it's not necessary right now. Pull the carpet, get it running well mechanically first.

crawler dude12

I found the leak on the rear diff. its between the 3rd member and the axle housing. I cleaned the housing with carb cleaner and a rag and under neath was blue sealant looking stuff. should i try and just seal up where its leaking? or just service the rear axle?

STAG

On my grind
Adding more sealant to the leak area won't fix the problem. You'll need to pull the axle shafts out a couple inches, pull the driveshaft, and remove the third member and scrape away all the old gasket material and start fresh to fully get rid of the leak.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
Nice starter vehicle. I love my first gen. I have a bunch of interior stuff(what color?) and a hood latch cable, all of it super cheap. Pm me what you need/want.

I would spend the $$ you have or can get where it counts, can always add carpet later.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
thanks! I'm trying to decide what to do with it. It's in pretty rough shape... and its missing a lot of interior plastic pieces. and the carpet needs to go. should i replace the carpet or just do a spray in bedliner?

Depends on how you're going to use the truck. If it's a trail rig, bedliner is absolutely the way to go, but it's a bit of work to get the factory soundproofing off the pan. If you're going to be DDing it, you might want to keep the carpet and insulation there to attenuate noise and heat. If you want to redo your carpet, there's molded kits out there but they're a couple hundred for the good ones.

Here's some interior stuff on KSL (not mine): https://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=29691624&cat=&lpid=3&search=4runner&ad_cid=5

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
Yeah, just rip out the carpet, worry about replacing it later. I've had the carpet out of mine since i got it, gets a little more noisy and warm but not a big deal.

Its cake to pull the rear 3rd and fix that leak. Undo the brakelines, remove nuts from the backing plate that hold the shafts, undo driveline at the 3rd, remove all nuts from the 3rd at the housing, dont forget to drain, then pull the shafts out 4-5" and remove the 3rd. Clean it, seal it and put it all back together. You'll need some brakefluid to top it off and blead the brakes as well as some fresh gear oil. I could give ya a hand if you'd like.

STAG

On my grind
Yeah, just rip out the carpet, worry about replacing it later. I've had the carpet out of mine since i got it, gets a little more noisy and warm but not a big deal.

Its cake to pull the rear 3rd and fix that leak. Undo the brakelines, remove nuts from the backing plate that hold the shafts, undo driveline at the 3rd, remove all nuts from the 3rd at the housing, dont forget to drain, then pull the shafts out 4-5" and remove the 3rd. Clean it, seal it and put it all back together. You'll need some brakefluid to top it off and blead the brakes as well as some fresh gear oil. I could give ya a hand if you'd like.

Is undoing the brake lines necessary on a Toyota axle?? I wouldn't have guessed so.

ricsrx

Is undoing the brake lines necessary on a Toyota axle?? I wouldn't have guessed so.

I have pulled the axels a few times with out removing the brake lines, just becarefull not to pull out to far and kink the lines at the backing plate, also i would recomend supporting the axel to prevent damage to the seal when the axle's are hanging out 4 inches.

like i said i have done it and kinked the lines a little bit and let the axle sit on the seal, I have had no problems but i felt uncomfortable about it..

Last edited:

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
yeah, i guess it depends on how long your brakelines are. i tried like hell not to undo the brakelines on mine but couldn't quite get the shafts out far enough.