my 1988 toyota 4runner

my 1988 toyota 4runner aka "The chick magnet"

Owners Name & City- Tyler Roundy, Orem, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- 1988 Toyota 4runner

Engine- 3.0L v6, with upgraded radiator.

Transmission- Stock 5 speed manual trans.

T-Case- Stock

Axles- Stock

Suspension- Bastard Spring Pack in the Rear, and a ball joint spacer for the front

Wheels and Tires- 15 inch rims and 33's

Winch- none

Favorite Trails- never been on a trail yet.

Other- custom front bumper and trail gear rock sliders!

I am currently 17, Jr. in high school. This is my first vehicle. I got it for what I think is a good deal. clearly needs work, but i'm going to be going to MATC in lehi to become an auto technition. I am still a newb when it comes to cars and will need all the help i can get. I bought it with the hopes my parents would let me tag along in their insurance.... BOY WAS I WRONG!!! so on top of school, I will be in search of a job to pay for my own insurance. ( oh well, cant be unemployed forever )

this is how it sits now.

Last edited:

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
i loved my bfg at's, super tough side walls on those things. i think the tread width is all personal preference. personally, my 32x12.50's work great on my rig. i like the look of the wider tires as well as the additional rubber contact when aired down.

crawler dude12

Started on the front bumper last night after moving my mom into her new apartment.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407074583.768880.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407074748.101178.jpg

Now, I'm probably going to do the sliders next, But I don't think I trust myself enough to do it by myself... I have new trail gear rock sliders, anyone willing to help me mount them?

Last edited:

crawler dude12

Well, figured I'd update this,

My very first crawling trip was out to little moab with Nate and his not so crappy "crappy xj" and Bret and his blazer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411883851.343731.jpg

Then rattlesnake
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411883888.360264.jpg

Then back to little moab
https://vimeo.com/107372306

Then just the other night a tire gave out on me due to a bad weather crack on the sidewall.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411884026.076872.jpg

So, as a birthday present to myself I just blew my savings and bought brand new 33x12.50r15 bfg all terrains. And new rotors and pads up front.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411884093.910867.jpg

crawler dude12

So, just yesterday I got in and took off and the speedometer isn't working and none of the odometer and trip meeter isn't working either? Any ideas as to what's going on?

crawler dude12

So, I have a check engine light on and got two codes. 42 and 51.

42 is vehicle speed sensor circuit.

52 is Switch signal -closed throttle position (CTP) switch OFF during diagnosis or Switch signal -A/C switch ON during diagnosis or Switch signal -park/neutra! position (PNP) switch not in P or N during diagnosis

And that's where I'm at. Where should I start looking to fix these? Thanks again!

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
Most of the time the speedo cable snaps about 1 inch in from where it screws into the t/case, unscrew it and try to gently pull the cable out(the cable should only move about 1/2" in and out in the seething) If it just falls right out you need that cable. If it doesn't I would do the same thing behind the combo meter. They normally brake right at the t/case or between the combo meter and firewall(less common). I would fix the cable and clear codes. Most likely thats the only problem. Can't remember if those have a 2 part cable or if it's one piece from the t/case to the combo meter.

If the speedo doesn't work the odo won't either. It uses vehicle speed as reference for distance traveled. Without the cable working neither will even get the input to tell it's moving. Ignore code 52 until the speedo is fixed.

Last edited:

crawler dude12

Got my Spartan locker in about a week ago and installed it yesterday... Forgot to take out the thrust washers out off the side gears. So I went back and took the washers out and now it works flawlessly! Now I just need to go test it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420679882.642284.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420680062.909216.jpg