My work/tow rig... (constant changes)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So this is going to be a bit of an experiment, the truck isn't quite what I was looking for and will require quite a bit of work to get it where I want. My goal is to have a reliable tow rig that gets good MPG, it simple to work on and has a reliable drivetrain.

The truck is older and more beat up than I'd prefer, but it had all the right drivetrain parts which was more important to me. The truck is a '95 GMC Sierra 2500 with 190k miles, it has a TBI 350, NV4500 and NP241 t-case. The rear axle is one of those funky semi-float 14 Bolt rear ends, which means 6 lug axles. I believe it's a light-duty 3/4 ton. I'm not sure what the gear ratio is, I was expecting 4.10's but according to the RPO code in the glovebox, it may have 3.73's which is surprising with the 350. I'll check the gear tag when I get a chance, but the axle ratio is a big deal for this project.

The truck needs a lot of work, it leaks oil, needs an alignment and the ABS light is on. The interior isn't cherry either, but with some cleaning I think it'll do. I would like to eventually clean up the interior, swap in leather seats from a newer GM truck, etc.

So my plan is to swap a Isuzu 4BD1T in place of the TBI 350, keeping the NV4500 transmission. I've been a fan of this engine for awhile, almost swapped one into my '97 GMC Sierra a handful of years ago. The Isuzu 4BD1T is a mechanical, direct-injection 3.9l turbo diesel that is similar to the Cummins 4BT, but a bit smaller, quieter and runs with less vibration. These came in the older Isuzu NPR box trucks with a turbo that wasn't great for performance. The 4BD1T I picked up came out of a truck that had 130k miles and was running well. The engine has a "remanufactured" tag on the block, so it was rebuilt at some point so I'm hoping it's good for some time. There are a lot of guys on 4BTSwaps.com that have swapped these into various rigs with good results. The 4BD1T also came in Land Rovers overseas, so it's a well known engine. With a better turbo, an intercooler and some tweaks of the injection pump these engines are capable of 400-450 ft/lbs and up to 25-26 MPG depending on vehicle weight, gearing, etc. I plan to run a Holset HE221W turbo, possibly a Dodge Cummins intercooler and injection pump tweaks. I'll probably leave the injectors and valve springs alone for now, just see how it does. I'll need an adapter to mate the Isuzu to the NV4500 and that'll be a pretty spendy part. Depending on when I have all the pieces, I'd like to start is this Summer.

The truck needs some body work and a paint job... but that'll come later on. For now I'll make sure the TBI 350 is reliable enough for some trips, but don't plan to put much money into it. I did notice that it turns 2,000 RPM at 70 MPH and the weak TBI 350 actually feels pretty decent... enough that it surprises me.

So here's the beater.... X-D

20180122_163917-L.jpg

20180122_163831-L.jpg

And the Isuzu 4BD1T engine, which many of you have seen already....

20180110_142206-jpg.111019

Greg

Admin

Greg

Admin
Looking forward to the build.

Thanks Bart. I really hope the Isuzu engine swap comes together quickly. I don't expect to be anywhere near as powerful as the modern diesel trucks, but if it has the power of a big block with the gas mileage of a 4 cyl I'll be happy!

Subscribed.

Damn Greg, you have quite a few projects going, I don't know how you find the time to get them done.

Mike

Yeah, I've been recovering from surgery I had in November and have been off work for 2 months now. I keep picking up s*&t I really don't NEED, but want. Honestly, what I NEED is to get back to work! X-D I told my wife that I'm spread pretty thin these days, too many projects.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Thanks Bart. I really hope the Isuzu engine swap comes together quickly. I don't expect to be anywhere near as powerful as the modern diesel trucks, but if it has the power of a big block with the gas mileage of a 4 cyl I'll be happy!

Yeah, I've been recovering from surgery I had in November and have been off work for 2 months now. I keep picking up s*&t I really don't NEED, but want. Honestly, what I NEED is to get back to work! X-D I told my wife that I'm spread pretty thin these days, too many projects.

Well I hope you're feeling better after your surgery but I am still impressed with how many irons you have in the fire. And I thought I had a lot of projects going at one time, nothing as major as yours though. Keep em' up.

Mike

Greg

Admin
I spent some time with this truck today.... not feeling like it was the best purchase. :eek: Feel like I should have just spent the money on a newer 6.0 or 8.1 GM truck.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I like it. 95 was one of my favorite years for GM. First year of the updated dash/seats etc and last year of the simple/reliable TBI... Anyway it hope it works out.

Edit. Always thought it was weird you could get a six lug 3/4 ton or a eight lug 1/2 ton in that body style :thinking:

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I like it. 95 was one of my favorite years for GM. First year of the updated dash/seats etc and last year of the simple/reliable TBI... Anyway it hope it works out.

Edit. Always thought it was weird you could get a six lug 3/4 ton or a eight lug 1/2 ton in that body style :thinking:
I hated the shallow cup holders in the dash on the passenger side, I liked my '93 dash better.

Greg what are the major issues you're seeing so far?

Greg

Admin

I think I just have buyers remorse. I don't want my tow rig to be a huge project, but I also have a hard time justifying buying a newer truck and then only using it 6-8 times a year. I agree that '95 is a good year and it's great for what I'm doing, I should be able to re-use sensors from the TBI 350 on the 4BT1T, keep the cruise control, etc.

After some reading, I learn that even though this is a 2500 it seems to have the same frame as the 1/2 ton. I was hoping for a beefier frame, for better hauling with the 2500. Basically all I've gained over a 1/2 ton is the NV4500 and semi-float 14 Bolt, which may not be all that great for heavy hauling.

I hated the shallow cup holders in the dash on the passenger side, I liked my '93 dash better.

Greg what are the major issues you're seeing so far?

There are some funky electrical issues, I was driving last night in the dark and when I tried to move the power seats, the headlights dim to almost nothing. There is no passenger air bag.... I'm worried the ABS light is going to take a lot of work, etc. The biggest hangup I'm having is that I don't want to sink thousands into it and have a truck that is OK, but not great... when I could have just spent that on a newer gas truck that tows fine. I found another GM 8.1 truck locally for $7,500... would hate to spend that kind of money on this truck and have it not work as well.

On the flip-side.... I didn't pay much for this truck and the 4BD1T swap is pretty straight forward (although it will take time). It really shouldn't cost TOO much to get up and running. I have the engine, just bought the right turbo, need to buy an adapter and an intercooler. Of course there will be all the little things than nickle and dime a project, exhaust, gauges, electric fans, etc, etc. If I can have this thing on the road and working well (tows great, gets 25 MPG) for $5k then I'll be happy.

What's interesting is that the GM 8.1 makes 455 ft/lbs. With the right turbo on the 4BD1T, a good sized intercooler and injection pump tweaks I should be right there with the torque, but get twice the mileage than the 8.1l. I have though about adding methanol to the 4BD1T, that could add another 100-150 ft/lbs I think. Have it setup so that it only comes on over 10 PSI of boost and when the EGT's are over 900* or so.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
The GM half ton frames are pretty stout for a half ton. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Yeah, I'd just rather have the 3/4 ton frame. My '98 GMC had a ton of frame flex when offroad.... but with 140" or so of wheelbase and the fact that they're only boxed at the front, that's probably within GM spec. :oops: I'm sure it'll be OK.... this truck has a 1,750# (I think) load capacity in the bed. I still want a camper, but may be searching for something lighter than planned.