My work/tow rig... (constant changes)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Have any interest in a matching camper shell? I'm planning to go to a gooseneck setup for a bigger trailer, so mine isn't going to work for me much longer.

Probably not, I'm hoping to have a slide-in camper sooner rather later and a camper shell would be one more thing I have to put on and take off in between. :D Thanks for the offer, though!

Greg

Admin
I finally got to use this truck for its intended purpose, towed the Willys to Moab last weekend and it did great. Perfectly reliable and capable, was doing 75-80 MPH on the freeway, enough power to pull out on the highway and accelerate without being dangerous to other traffic, etc. Looks like I averaged 9 MPG while towing, but that was based on mostly freeway driving. The 5100 shocks were nice to have, good ride around town and on the freeway, but firm enough to help control the loaded truck at speed. The Tow/Haul mode was great to have, holding the truck in lower gears longer and helped keep the transmission happy.

I feel like I could use more power and have been playing around with the idea of getting another LQ4 and building it for 450-500 HP & TQ, focusing on low-end torque gains. Boosting power between 2000-4500 RPM would be ideal. It would be nice to toss a rebuilt & beefed up 4L80E about the same time, as well. But that all depends on how reliable this truck is and if I decide it's worth keeping.... it's incredibly dirty and neglected.

Any how.... pic of the truck & trailer loaded up from the weekend.
20180421_072258-XL.jpg

Greg

Admin
Nothing too crazy recently, just minor work. Since Summer is here and it's getting hot, I've been using the A/C and it SUCKED... even with the blower on 5, it felt like it was getting choked.... the air was cool, but not much air flow. Late model GM's usually have A/C that will freeze you out of the truck! After seeing how dirty this truck was, my first thought was to replace the cabin filter. Sure enough, it was plugged big time.... a ton of dirt, straw and other junk fell out when it came out. Put it back together with a NAPA Premium Cabin Filter and now it works amazing!

Next, the tires that came on the Chevy were looking pretty sketchy, like they'd seen a lot of offroad use. They were Goodyear Duratracks (which I hate), size 285/75/17. They had a wobble and made the truck bounce around at certain speeds. I found a set of BFG KO2's with 30% tread for cheap, size 34x10.5x17. I wanted new tires, but have my money going different directions right now and had to settle for used. The 34's aren't much taller than the 285's, I really didn't want a taller tire as I was worried it would effect the gearing and towing. Also, the DuraTracks were load range E and BFG's are load range D. I was a bit concerned about that, too.... but after checking the sidewall, the ratings were within a couple hundred pounds of each other, so not concerned. Once on, they fit just fine and don't even rub! I think it looks great with the 34" KO2's.

I've been using the truck quite a bit, hauling Jeep and car parts, steel for fab projects, running to the dump after Spring cleaning. It's not the newest, best looking truck out there but it does what I need it to do and it's paid off. :D

20180622_180009-X2.jpg

Omgbecki

Nice truck. I recently picked up a 2000 yukon. After doing fluids, plugs and wires and a compression test, I've come to the conclusion that it is very healthy truck even with 185xxx on the clock. Even though my TJ is technically 4 years newer it's very primitive as the technology goes. I only mention this as a opening for the following.

After I got the yukon I realized I know very little about these "LS" based engines. Mine is the LM7. In doing research for that engine as well as the LQ4 (as a probable replacement) I have come to the realization that these engines are amazing as far as their sensitivity to minor upgrades. I too liked the idea of building a engine but after doing my compression test and after connecting several engine builders, I decided I will eventually just add forced induction at some time. Some sort of supercharger kit. With that said, blueprint engines has a great replacement engine in that power range for around 7 grand. My needs were very similar to yours. I told them my intentions for this daily driver is to be able pull my jeep and family wherever I wanted and have some fun unloaded. When I broke down the individual cost of buying new parts in building a engine I was about 3000 over the cost of that engine for a similar power build.

Now after that long drawn out story, I have also found that these trucks respond very well to the big 3 as far as upgrades. Intake, exhaust and tuner. If you can swing a cam in there as well as a shift kit it really puts these engines into a whole new realm.

As far as the trans swap you are talking about. I think you would really miss the getting of the 60 vs the 80. Although it is more beefy I know I would greatly miss that first gear as most do.

Again sorry for the long story lol. Have a great day

RockChucker

Do you have any lift on that beaut? I'm strongly considering either 285/75R17 or 315/70R17 KO2s on my Duramax when my Duratracs are done....They are close to being there. But the caveat is I refuse to lift it. I'll move sheet metal if I have to. It's only about 1/2" difference in the diameter....so I'm leaning towards the 315s. The 265s that are on there just look sad.

Greg

Admin
Do you have any lift on that beaut? I'm strongly considering either 285/75R17 or 315/70R17 KO2s on my Duramax when my Duratracs are done....They are close to being there. But the caveat is I refuse to lift it. I'll move sheet metal if I have to. It's only about 1/2" difference in the diameter....so I'm leaning towards the 315s. The 265s that are on there just look sad.

I'm not sure if it's lifted or not... it sure sits tall for a stock truck, if it is indeed stock! I don't know if the 2500 HD's came this way or what. These 34's fit without rubbing, it's close on the front bumper and back of front fender, but so far no rubbing.

RockChucker

Interesting....Giving me hope that the 315s will fit. I need to find a used one for cheap and mount it to see before I drop coin on a new set.

Scottfunk

I am also a HUGE fan of this body style as well. The goals for my build were: unique, power, reliability, power, wow factor, and power. I succeeded on all cases.20180719_135034.jpg

Scottfunk

Is that a Cummins badge I see? :eek:
You know it! I searched long and hard to find one that didn't have the "TURBO DIESEL" at the bottom (I mean c'mon everyone knows a Cummins is a turbo diesel). I wanted something that set me apart from the Dodge boys. These are for a marine application. 100% solid stainless steel. Even my badges are heavy duty!

OrangeSkidPlate

So I have been thinking the same thing as you, my 2500 pulls awesome but I want a little more power in the bottom end. I was talking to a buddy and he said something about running a lq9 tune on a lq4 and it's supposed to help gain a little more power. I've been thinking about getting a Dyno tune for mine, also heard good things about that. Some people are claiming 50hp gains but that seems a little too good to be true, I know these motors come fairly detuned from factory. Also, I have a flowmaster catback on mine, dual in single out, and it isn't obnoxious but it's got good sound to it. Anyways, good looking truck!

Greg

Admin
So I have been thinking the same thing as you, my 2500 pulls awesome but I want a little more power in the bottom end. I was talking to a buddy and he said something about running a lq9 tune on a lq4 and it's supposed to help gain a little more power. I've been thinking about getting a Dyno tune for mine, also heard good things about that. Some people are claiming 50hp gains but that seems a little too good to be true, I know these motors come fairly detuned from factory. Also, I have a flowmaster catback on mine, dual in single out, and it isn't obnoxious but it's got good sound to it. Anyways, good looking truck!

I've heard that a aftermarket tune on a LQ4 makes a pretty big change! There are plenty of tuners, but I've heard really good things about Black Bear Performance.

Good exhaust is always helpful, I love the sound of a Flowmaster exhaust! My '02 has glass packs on it and I HATE THEM! :puke: :shawn: If this truck stays around, I'll put a Flowmaster in place of the nasty glass packs.

NYCEGUY01

Although I love my 02 I do have a soft spot for the older body style.
This one is my "winter hot rod"...200 screaming horsepower out of the 5.7 TBI..lol
Pretty peppy with 4.10 gears and 30" tires but I couldn't imagine towing with it.

2222.jpg

1111.jpg