GMC / Chevy my "Big Red" tow rig thread

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I wanted to start a thread to keep track of the upgrades on my tow rig and maybe exchange a few ideas. The truck is a 100% stock 95 K2500 6.5TD "F" VIN with just under 139k miles and has the 5 speed manual with 4.10 gears. Since I bought it last Saturday I picked up a set of newer style Chevy HD polished aluminum wheels and 265/75 E load range Geolander tires that I swapped over today while slipping and sliding in the driveway. I also ordered a replacement PMD with relocation kit and heat sink, Flowmaster crossover and down pipes, all new front and rear lights, and might have a nice shell lined up. On my maintenance list for this week is an oil change, fuel filter, air filter, inspect or replace all brakes, and clean up the intake tract. I will see how the power feels with just the crossover and down pipes for now, but will likely end up with a 4in exhaust and chip in the future. Also going to be ordering the cooling upgrade that uses the 130 gpm pump and some braided oil cooler lines.

Here are a few before and after pictures with the new wheels, looks so much better than the 16x8's that were on it before. And while "Big Red" is nothing original, this thing feels big when driving it and it's red.

Attachments

• DSCN5748.jpg
    DSCN5748.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN5749.jpg
    DSCN5749.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN5753.jpg
    DSCN5753.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN5754.jpg
    DSCN5754.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN5758.jpg
    DSCN5758.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Tonkaman

Be sure to flush out the power steering and brake fluid. Those big trucks really burn up the fluid and you will be amazed how much smoother if feels after