My Daughter just got pulled over in my Jeep for tire coverage.

SpeedyVic

I have a TJ that has a pretty wide stance. The tires stick out about 3" past the tube fenders. My daughter drove it to the store and was quickly pulled over for no flaps, insufficient flares. She got 2 fix-it tickets. I will put removable flaps on there, but there's not much I will be able to do with the flares. We'll see how merciful the LEO is when I go show him the flaps. It is still just BS. We have been driving this jeep this way for a couple of years. Must be a new cop.

We live in Logan, BTW. Just thought I would let you all know.

D

Deleted member 12904

Lol welcome to the tax club. They most likely won't me merciful at all but will have no issues letting you know you can pay the fine instead of fixing it.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
It is still just BS. We have been driving this jeep this way for a couple of years. Must be a new cop.
This is an unintended consequence of eliminating safety inspections. I fully supported getting rid of inspections and have been extremely happy to see the roads aren't any more dangerous than they were in 2017 when inspections were in place. I also agree that it isn't obvious that the tire coverage is causing safety issues. I expect, and have heard several reports the UHP has stepped up their enforcement of the safety inspection code.
The worst part about that is the drastic variation in interpretation of the code from officer to officer. It's not really any different than it was from inspection station to station. At least now you aren't mandated to go through it annually AND pay for the pleasure. I agree with Deviant, it's more of a tax collection than a safety concern.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
on fb I am seeing more and more of these stories... one guy said he got pulled over and got 12 fix it tickets... and the officer told him he could just pay the fines and not worry about fixing the troubles... maybe this way he can pull him over again later and hand him the same tickets over again!
I just wish they would start targeting the big trucks with no flaps or flairs that seem to be everywhere!

Kevin B.

Big hippy
For what it's worth, they make a thing called Flexy Flares that might bolt up pretty easy to your tubes if you needed a little extra coverage.

WILDHAIR225

My suburban has been the same for a over a year with no issues and now I've been pulled over for flaps and flares twice in the last month both by UHP. First guy was new second one was not. They are cracking down and keeping track of how much they warn you.

OrangeSkidPlate

When I lived in Logan and daily drove my Tacoma and my Jeep, I was constantly harassed. I had UHP pull a u-turn in traffic on main to come give me a ticket. The sardine canyon guys are the same way. The city cops that I've talked to say they won't pull you over for that stuff, but the UHP will. I also feel they target wheelers more often than just a random lifted truck without mudflaps.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
This is an unintended consequence of eliminating safety inspections.

That is not even remotely correct. Running with no flaps and insufficient flares was just as illegal five years ago as it is today.

I expect, and have heard several reports the UHP has stepped up their enforcement of the safety inspection code.

If this is true, then good on them. It is part of their job, after all. If they want us to take the law seriously, they need to stop looking the other way.

The worst part about that is the drastic variation in interpretation of the code from officer to officer.

While this can be a valid point in certain circumstances, having (a) no flaps at all and (b) tires sticking out 3" past your fenders are both blatant violations which would be interpreted as such by pretty much everyone, don't ya think?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
It may have been just as illegal but UHP is definitely stepping up it's enforcement of the safety code. So your thought is when the legislature eliminated one source of code enforcement they expected the UHP to increase their scrutiny and ticket people that they previously were not? Maybe, but I am sceptical that was their intention.
I agree it is UHP's job to enforce the law, so what where they doing prior to safety inspections being eliminated?
They were certainly not being as strict as in recent months. I have at least 5 examples of people being ticketed in the last 6 months on vehicles they have driven for years in their current state without being cited. Does that mean they were not breaking the law previously, absolutely not. It does show increased enforcement though.
The degree to which you are violating the law will raise the level of scrutiny you receive but it's not just blatant violations that are being ticketed now.

As for mud flaps, I don't see how any reasonable person thinks it OK to ticket someone for a vehicle condition that is legal as long as it came that way from the factory but same exposure is illegal if it's the result of a modification. But the law is the law so if I'm cited ill pay my civil disobedience fee.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
... but UHP is definitely stepping up it's enforcement of the safety code.

I would expect them to step up enforcement, actually. In the past, they could be lax "because the annual inspections will catch most stuff" but now that there is no inspection, it's entirely up to them.

So your thought is when the legislature eliminated one source of code enforcement they expected the UHP to increase their scrutiny and ticket people that they previously were not?

I don't think that was their specific intention, no... but that's pure speculation on my part.

so what where they doing prior to safety inspections being eliminated?

I guess they weren't paying as much attention, though they certainly weren't letting everyone off scot free. For example, in the Jeep FB groups people have always been complaining about the cops every time they get cited for lack of flares and/or flaps. But since every last damn one of them knew exactly what the legal requirements are, and then they chose to ignore them, I never have an ounce of sympathy for them.

As for mud flaps, I don't see how any reasonable person thinks it OK to ticket someone for a vehicle condition that is legal as long as it came that way from the factory but same exposure is illegal if it's the result of a modification. But the law is the law so if I'm cited ill pay my civil disobedience fee.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the current mud flap law, as written, is the smartest, best, most appropriate law on the books. Nevertheless, it is what it is. The requirements are spelled out very clearly, and it is easy to bring a vehicle into compliance. Why anyone would ignore this law--and bait every cop in the state into pulling them over--is beyond me.

UPNO4

Addicted
I have noticed they seem to go in waves. They enforce for awhile and then they seem to relax for awhile.
Dempsey is right though the law is the law and it hasn't changed in decades. It actually drives me nuts how many Jeeps and Trucks there are with tires hanging 3"-4" out the side and Jeeps with flares removed. The biggest complaint is that is calling attention to even the minor offenders. I to have been in the same boat drive one for years no probs and then all the sudden pulled over left and right.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I actually wish they would bring safety inspections back into play, not so much for off road rigs but due to the numerous cars I see on my daily commute with lights burned out and bald tires that impact the safety of everyone. I can only hope that UHP will continue to increase its patrols and find a way to fill its positions statewide.

WILDHAIR225

I wish they would have never did away with it. This guy lost a ball joint doing 30 in front of my shop. He spun around and smacked the curb if he was on the freeway this would have been bad.

Attachments

• 20180726_123053.jpg
    20180726_123053.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 27