My late Christmas present...

Taco4life

I have been researching and debating getting a new hunting rifle for over a year and a half. I settled on a Sako .270, I did plenty of research and testing. I have always loved the .270 caliber and am intrigued by the .270 wsm, but in the end opted to stick with the regular .270 for a number of reasons. I held out and held out on purchasing one until this week I found a place that had them for a deal I couldn't pass up. I brought it home today and couldn't be happier, those that have held or shot a Sako know the incredible craftsmanship and accuracy of these Finnish rifles. I am now looking into which scope I want to mount on it. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the leupold 6x36 with the LR recticle, Nikon Monarch 3x9, any of the new redfield scopes, or the Vortex Viper 3x9. Or do you have another scope you recommend?

DAA

Of the scopes you mention, I'd go with either the Leupold or the VV. I've had crappy luck with Monarch's and the new Redfields just don't inspire confidence with me. Never used a VV myself, a few friends have them and seem happy enough though.

- DAA

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have always used Leupolds but I just bought one of the new Redfields in a 3-9 with the accurange reticle for my AR. I really like it. It's not a Leupold but it is far better than I expected for $150. The reticle is very nice and matches the ballistics on that rifle very well.

Taco4life

DAA, what problems have you had with the Monarchs? Just curious, I just got one for my dad for Christmas. I have never had any experience with Vortex either but have heard rave reviews from a lot of people.

DAA

Wandering zero on the only two I've ever owned. One of them had clicks that lied too. Nikon too the slow boat on warranty repair too. They were gone for about a month each. When the second one finally came back I sold them both.

I've had the same kind of problems with a handful of Leupolds also. But at least when I sent them in they got turned around in a week.

Scopes of almost any brand are the weak link, for sure. Any time I'm having accuracy issues, the scope is always the first thing I suspect and I'm usually right. My Nightforce scopes haven't had any issues, but they are way too big and heavy for a regular hunting rifle. Same for the Zeiss I own, no problems, yet, but they are also a bit on the bulky and heavy side. Swarovski is great, but holy crap are they proud of them.

For lightweight, compact, decent (but not great) optics, reasonably reliable, good warranty service and an affordable price, Leupold really is hard to beat.

- DAA