My latest impulse purchase.....what should I do with it?

On a whim I drove to Montana and bought this guy. I've always loved the look of these J20's.

Upon driving it I realized it needed some steering and brake love so I swapped in a S10 gear box and new steering shaft so I don't have to herd it down the highway any more. I also swapped in hydroboost and a master cylinder. Someone had put in a little baby 8" single diaphragm booster to clear the massive Cadillac 500 V8/TH400 they swapped in. They also swapped in a GM 14 bolt with discs!

Now I have to decide what to do with this impulse purchase.

What I do know is that I need to work on the suspension, it rides stiff as a board. The paint and body are incredible for the age but I'm likely still going to repaint it just to get on top of the few rust spots it has...aaaaand I want to have the interior reupholstered.

52898454_10157401907417847_5579369985899233280_n.jpg

53543262_10157401907437847_5146344244880867328_n.jpg

52893143_10157401907427847_2298015890878234624_n.jpg

rholbrook

I love the truck, I would fix the rust and try to fade the repaint on the rust sections and keep the old paint. Freshen up the interior and then stick an LS motor in it.

I love the truck, I would fix the rust and try to fade the repaint on the rust sections and keep the old paint. Freshen up the interior and then stick an LS motor in it.

Mmmmmmmmmm:thinking:.....me likey! A 6.0 is what I was thinking.
I’m having the same impulse feelings for this Cherokee. I don’t need it, really don’t have the space but it’s cool!

View attachment 118693
I want that!!!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Mmmmmmmmmm:thinking:.....me likey! A 6.0 is what I was thinking.

I want that!!!

cheaper.... WAY more torque than the 6.0 could ever dream of

What do you guys think of a Ford radius arm front suspension to soften the ride? I'd never take it off road but I would like it to have softer road manners. It seems like a Ford radius arm suspension would be really easy to do and give me a softer "coil spring" ride.

What axle gears does it have?
Radius arm is a a pretty simple (relative to other forms of links) swap. My TJ uses radius arms and it has decent roll control even without a front sway bar.

I'm not certain on the gears but it's a D44 front and 14B rear. It's got some kind of posi diff in the rear, not really sure. I think I could swap in an 80's era Bronco radius arm suspension relatively easy. Can't really think of any reason not too! The spring buckets mount to the radius arms so all I would have to do is get my caster angle correct and weld those funny wedges to the axle tube. The frame side mount is super simple so I could source those or fab them up pretty easily. Then all I have to do is fab up some kind of trac-bar and weld on some frame side spring buckets. I can get those off Barnes for like $140. I think I could do the whole thing for under $600 maybe.

ID Bronco

If you go old Ford radius arms, I would extend them at the beginning. It really helps the ride and articulation if you end up on rutted roads, ect. Jeff's Bronco Graveyard had lots of set's/info on them years ago when I did it.