My new 2019 Ford F250 6.2 Gasser review/info...

pELYgroso

'Merica
Hey all, I just purchased a 2019 F250 in the gasser flavor. I thought I'd jot down some info since it was difficult to find a lot of this info without searching a billion different forum posts all over the interwebz when I was researching. Hopefully this will help somebody that is deciding gas vs. diesel....

First, the why: Long story short, I'm tired of my older trucks nickel and diming me to death, haha.

My price range was $40k-ish and I was first looking at the ford 6.7 Diesels in that range which were the pre-2017 body style, with 70-100k miles. While researching, I decided to look into the stats on the 6.2 v8 gas engine which initially looked good at a 12,000 lb towing capacity. My 28' bumper pull toy hauler loaded down is 10k+ lbs. so I figured it could work. I was still super hesitant but decided to research the 6.2 further (which was much more difficult to find specific answers to questions than the diesels) and found that with the 4.30 gearing, it's rated to tow 15,000 lbs, and starting in 2017, Ford installed the new Torqueshift-G tranny which was specifically designed and tuned for the 6.2 gasser. This got put into the 2017+ F250's. Previous to that and with the newer F350's, Ford put the same trannies in the gas and diesel motors which work fine, but the diesel tranny was slightly overkill for the gasser, and tuned to the diesel's torque curve. The newer design is slightly lighter weight and tuned for the 6.2, saving (slightly) fuel consumption, and some "dead shift spots" that the other tranny had when paired with the gas motor. After reading all of these positives about the gasser, I looked into pricing and found that the brand new gassers were right in my price range. I LOVE the newer body style, so this made me super happy. Plus, the new or slightly used gasser would have more miles left under Ford's warranty. I looked all over and could not find a slightly used or even new 2018 gasser with the 4.30 gearing. Even the 3.73 geared gassers with 20-40k miles were priced only a few thousand under the brand new ones. So, I went to Ken Garff in AF and asked them to see one with the 4.30 gearing. My must-haves were only a few things: 4.30's, crew cab, backup camera, 6.5' bed. That's it. Any truck with those things would work. It turns out that the 4.30 gearing was an option but didn't get put into any "stock" trucks sent to the dealers to sell. They found only one, 300 miles away that had those things, plus a few other add-ons, so I bought it. Being Friday afternoon and the last day of the month, which wasn't planned, they gave me a great deal if I'd sign papers that day.

When I received it, I was pleased to find that whoever custom ordered it started with the base (XL) model and then added the STX appearance package, the FX4 off-road package, and every option available to improving its towing capabilities including 360* camera system. It's pretty much exactly how I would order it, so that's a bonus.

So, I have about 700 miles on it now. It had 19 miles when I drove away with it. I've added floor mats (even thought it has vinyl flooring), running boards, and a few other minor things. I drove up to Lava Hot Springs in Idaho (empty with the family) last week (Pocatello first to see my brother) to pick our camp trailer up from our property and bring it back. Here are my performance and MPG impressions from empty and towing: (These stats should be the same for the 2017 and 2018 models as well.

Empty:
-Around town it does great. Better than I expected. I'd say it has about as much (almost) get-up-and-go as my 2014 6.7 diesel that I had a few years ago. I drive like a granny anyways, so it's more than enough. I'm sure the 4.30's help with the peppiness. It gets about 13-14+ mpg's when driving like a granny around town like I normally do or 11-12 when I'm not paying attention.
-I was worried that the 4.30's would suck on the freeway, revving high at speed but it cruises smoothly and quietly at 80mph @ just over 2500 RPM's. On the way up to Idaho last week (empty), I got about 15.2 mpg's between Lehi and Ogden which is basically flat. There was a little traffic, so we averaged 65-70 mph.
-Between Ogden and Pocatello I put the cruise control at 78 mph and got avg. 13.6 mpg's through the hilly S. Idaho terrain.
-Keeping speed or Accelerating on hills is no problem. It will hold speed on cruise control up all but the steepest grades in 6th gear without flinching. (mpg drops on hills, obviously)

Towing: (I should mention that for pretty much the whole trip back towing, there was basically zero wind)
On the way back into town, we had our 28' camper w/ our sxs and gear inside (10k+ lbs). I forgot to bring my equalizer hitch, so it would get a little squirrely when I got over 70 mph when I passed or got passed by a semi. I kept it around 65 mph for this reason but I don't think it would have had a problem doing 75 mph the whole way (minus the bigger hills) Note: None of the towing was using cruise control. I like to adjust throttle manually for best performance.
-Downy, ID (30 min S of Pocatello) to Ogden got avg. 7.1 mpg cruising at about 65-70 mph (slower on the bigger hills) (see speed info below)
-Ogden to Lehi went up to 7.8 mpg on the flatter terrain. With traffic, we were averaging about 55-60 mph.
I'm happy with this, as my 2014 6.7 diesel (on 37's) only got about 9 mpg's towing the same stretch of road.

While researching, I couldn't find much detailed info at all about the actual towing capabilities and performance over different terrains, so here is my assessment:
(with my 10k+ lbs, 28' long, kite of a toy hauler (fully loaded), without the equalizer hitch)
-It kept 65-70mph in 6th gear on the flat terrain or slight uphill grades without any problems, even speeding back up slowly after getting stuck behind a slower truck. With the equalizer hitch, I don't doubt it would have held 75+ in 6th. I was very happy with this. I read that with the 3.73 gearing, you basically lose 6th gear when towing unless you're down hill. I was definitely in 6th for most of the trip.
-On small hills, it would still keep speed but shift into 5th (3300-ish RPM's) to maintain. I was very happy with this.
-On medium hills, It would hold 60mph in 4th, still in a super comfortable RPM range, and even accelerate if I wanted to push it.
-On steep hills (the back side of the Malad pass was the only place this was used) it would chug up the hill, holding 55 mph in 3rd gear, still in a (slightly higher, but) comfortable RPM range. I believe about 3800 RPM's with plenty of room to push it if I wanted to.
-FYI, I try to drive with vehicle longevity in mind, so I wasn't "pushing" the truck by any means.

There were never any back-and-forth gear shifting moments trying to figure out which gear was most happy, and a few times when I was in 5th or 6th, wanting to speed up on a hill, I would give more throttle, expecting to downshift, but instead, it just accelerated in the same gear, which was great.

All this without using a drop of DEF. :)

Again, this was all with basically zero wind. Figure it will do slightly better or worse with a tail or head wind.

I had never towed my trailer with a gasser before and I was nervous, but the 6.2 w/ the newer torqueshift-G tranny performed without a hiccup. I am extremely pleased with the truck and transmission.

So far, I've had the stock tires on the truck which are 275/70r18's (33x11r18). I just bought some wheels/ tires that are 295/65r20's (35x11.5r20) that I'll be installing this week. We'll see what they'll do to the performance......

Let me know if you have any questions about the truck and I'll add more details to this post if I can.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I dig it. Pretty much the cool/ newer version of my truck. I'm sure the lower 1st and slightly lower 5th and 6th make it nice with 4.30s. mine has 3.73s and it gets similar mileage (14+ combined over 35k miles) with the normal torqueshift 6 speed. Brian's gets only slightly worse than me with 4.10s and the same 6 speed.
I've put on 275/70/18s but it had weenie 245/75/17s on when I bought it. So the fuel mileage (corrected) actually got better with the taller tires.

Here's the ratios side by side.
Clipboard01.jpg

Also I REALLY love the factory e-locker in mine. Does yours have it?

Last edited:

Bart

I have been wondering about the 6.2 gasser and the reports that I get from my son Andy, that has a few of them in a fleet he oversees, have been all positive. Thanks for the write up.

Thursty

Thanks for the write up. I'll be looking for a new truck next year and I think one like yours will be on the top of my list.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Good looking rig. The gas vs diesel truck thing is such a toss up. It makes me a little happy that I am stuck in my current rig for a few years. I think for a lot of people, the gas motor would be better. Unless you pull a trailer as big as yours or bigger, I think the gas motor is a solid win.

One thing I have noticed, you can get an XLT diesel for WAY less than the Lariat or higher packages. I was shocked that people were paying $10k to $15k more for leather and a few other options with quite a few more miles. The XLT has power mirrors, doors and windows with SYNC and a backup camera sounds like you got most of that too. What else do you need in a truck?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I love my gasser. I’ve towed up to about 15k lbs or so. There are times when it’s obviously less than a Deisel, but the rest of the time it’s a non-issue, and I prefer the cheeper maintenance and parts.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I love my gasser. I’ve towed up to about 15k lbs or so. There are times when it’s obviously less than a Deisel, but the rest of the time it’s a non-issue, and I prefer the cheeper maintenance and parts.

You act like diesel parts are expensive. Aren't all 350hp V8's $15K to rebuild?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have the truck version of the 6.2 in my wake boat. So for a bit of a comparison, I burn about 6.5 gallons per hour overall. While surfing, that number doubles. My boat weighs 6000, then add another 4000 in ballast, gear and people. The fuel burn is pretty similar....until you consider distance traveled. You burn 10 gallons per hour and cover 65 miles. I'd burn that in an hour of surfing, but only travel a couple of miles! I can't believe I'm happy with 1 MPG. But we have a TON of fun doing it.
The engine has been great to us so far. We put about 70 hours on it this summer.

On a side note, my boat and trailer weigh in at 8600 pounds, ready for the lake. I'm just over the ratings of my Ram 1500 ecodiesel. It pulls it okay, and I love the truck when not towing. I get about 12-13 mpg towing. I've been looking at gasser 3/4 tons lately thinking that may be the way to go. I will not own a DEF truck that's not under warranty. I have another year of warranty on my truck. Looking at mostly GM 6.0's and Ram 6.4. Haven't really looked at the Fords. Maybe I should. I feel my towing setup is in a bad spot. Totally maxes out the 1/2 tons, but is a baby for the 3/4 ton trucks. I've never felt unsafe in my truck now, but I did tow it with a diesel Ram this summer and it was amazing! Not sure what to do.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Newer half-tons max out over 11K (13.2 k for the right package w/3.5 ecoboost), but you'd definitely be the dog wagged by the tail.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I have the truck version of the 6.2 in my wake boat. So for a bit of a comparison, I burn about 6.5 gallons per hour overall. While surfing, that number doubles. My boat weighs 6000, then add another 4000 in ballast, gear and people. The fuel burn is pretty similar....until you consider distance traveled. You burn 10 gallons per hour and cover 65 miles. I'd burn that in an hour of surfing, but only travel a couple of miles! I can't believe I'm happy with 1 MPG. But we have a TON of fun doing it.
The engine has been great to us so far. We put about 70 hours on it this summer.

On a side note, my boat and trailer weigh in at 8600 pounds, ready for the lake. I'm just over the ratings of my Ram 1500 ecodiesel. It pulls it okay, and I love the truck when not towing. I get about 12-13 mpg towing. I've been looking at gasser 3/4 tons lately thinking that may be the way to go. I will not own a DEF truck that's not under warranty. I have another year of warranty on my truck. Looking at mostly GM 6.0's and Ram 6.4. Haven't really looked at the Fords. Maybe I should. I feel my towing setup is in a bad spot. Totally maxes out the 1/2 tons, but is a baby for the 3/4 ton trucks. I've never felt unsafe in my truck now, but I did tow it with a diesel Ram this summer and it was amazing! Not sure what to do.
I didn't realize they put the 6.2 in wake boats. That's pretty cool. What boat do you have?

The DEF question was another reason that I steered towards the gasser. In my price range, the diesels that I was looking at were just out of warranty, or close. Diesel repairs are no fun to pay for.....

Definitely consider the Ford 6.2. I drove a Chevy 6.0 and sat in the Dodge 6.4 as well. The 6.0 was nice and close to the towing specs of the Ford, but I just love the styling, inside and out, of the new Fords. Sitting in the Dodge was enough to steer me away. Nothing horribly wrong with it, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I picked up some wheels and tires that I finally installed yesterday, as well as tint. I'm officially in love with this truck!
20181024_173602_HDR.jpg
no rubbing with the 35's. :cool:
20181024_180103_HDR.jpg
Now my question is, do I get a leveling kit? I actually don't mind the slight forward rake, and while towing my camper it squats down to be perfectly level, so I'm thinking no leveling kit. What are your opinions?

In case you're wondering, and for internet search purposes: 2019 F250 ingot silver, black Fuel Octane wheels / rims, 15% tint all around.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That is a good looking truck. Thanks for posting all the stats that you've come up with. Really good info.

pELYgroso

'Merica
That tint looks nice. What did that cost?
$185 for the 5 windows here in American Fork. They did a great job!
That is a good looking truck. Thanks for posting all the stats that you've come up with. Really good info.
Thanks! When I was searching, there wasn't any great info all in one place. I kind of found most of this info, but in 100 different threads by searching different things. Hopefully this helps the next guy....

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I didn't realize they put the 6.2 in wake boats. That's pretty cool. What boat do you have?

The DEF question was another reason that I steered towards the gasser. In my price range, the diesels that I was looking at were just out of warranty, or close. Diesel repairs are no fun to pay for.....

Definitely consider the Ford 6.2. I drove a Chevy 6.0 and sat in the Dodge 6.4 as well. The 6.0 was nice and close to the towing specs of the Ford, but I just love the styling, inside and out, of the new Fords. Sitting in the Dodge was enough to steer me away. Nothing horribly wrong with it, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I have a Tige RZX3. To be honest, what really makes this boat shine is the the 2:1 transmission and 17" prop. Before going to this transmission, the 6.2 "Raptor" was a dog at our elevation. Mine has a 385 (?) HP and 440 torque tune on it. Not sure how that compares to the trucks. The base engine is identical to yours with a few marine changes...oil pan, exhaust manifolds, etc.

If I get away from my truck I'm pretty sure it will be for a gasser. But your fuel cost per mile towing is almost double where I'm at right now. Even with the spread in fuel prices. That's the hard part for me to swallow.