My Next Project: 1965 Sunbeam Alpine

muleskinner

From here I need about a month to put it all back together and then it will be off to upholstery. I need a few quotes for that so if anyone can recommend a place that will match the quality of what I have here, I'm all ears. I have no idea how long upholstery will have it, but it should be done after that. Maybe just in time for a springtime drive to PHX to drop it off.

Call my buddy Justin, he does an awesome job!

http://www.jscustominterior.com/

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
John does a great paint job for sure, but I didn't know he was backed up that far. The car looks amazing.
He's not. Big projects like this take the back burner to smaller quicker ones. Originally he told me 5-6 weeks. There was absolutely no reason on our end why that couldn't have happened. We did add what I figured to be about 8-10 hours of work but that's it. It's even worse that he would ask for progress payments when there was no progress.

Looks great, can't wait to see it in person. :cool:

Come over.

Call my buddy Justin, he does an awesome job!

http://www.jscustominterior.com/
Thanks for this. His website looks great. Whom may I say referred me? I doubt you go by muleskinner to him.

Are you going to be around Saturday? I'm thinking I can get the dash template done on Sat, then get one knocked out in 2 weeks to get finished.

I will be working on it all day. Come on over.

Upholdstery West in Midvale
Mont is the owner
801-561-7011

I have always been impressed with his work...

Yes, they are on the quote list. Thanks.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Making progress on the dash...
9afc5de88931357cc5cf9dfa59a9b1b2.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Dragging my feet big time! We removed the radio and air bag controllers from the dash. Felt they took from the classic look of the dash. We are building a matching center console that will house those parts as well as cup holders and a phone holder. Simple, but nice. Once I have the dash back it will be pretty quick to get the wiring finished, which is the last big project. From there it's finish installing the sway bars (which I should have already done, just lazy), the alignment, and driveshaft. Should be a runner/driver at that point. The last things will be metal/chrome work and the upholstery. Speaking of upholstery, no one that was recommended in previous posts seemed at all interested in the project. Maybe they were busy at the time, or who knows. I just know I still don't have someone to help with that.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Thanks! This isn't something found here very often....if ever. Just wish it was finished so I could move on to the next project that will cause more hair loss. Who needs hair anyways?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Back to making progress on this car. This is the dash that moab_cj5 built. Turned out great. Matches the wood steering wheel very well. He is now making a center console out of the same piece of wood.

011 (10).JPG

The car is a runner again now, after about 20 hours this past weekend. And in my normal fashion, every line, hose, wire that needed to be tight was left loose! Fuel leaks, ATF leaks, loose grounds.... I still wonder why people have me do this work for them. :ugh: Oh well. Should be a driver in another week or so. There is about 50 people right now waiting for rides. Feel free to grab a number and get in line!

I could use a few more recommendations for upholstery. I have reached out to the guys that were mentioned before to see if their schedule works better now. Fingers crossed.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Here's a few shots of it from Friday when we dropped it off at Hot Rod Hideout for the upholstery work. In all, I think I drove it about 10 miles, around my neighborhood, the 201 and then down to airport #2. It felt really tight. It either hooked right up and went or broke free, spinning both tires. My only concern right now is how heavy the manual steering felt. Steering is great, but it just feels funny. Not sloppy, more like dead. Driving straight down the road it feels locked up then with just a bit more effort it turns on a dime. I wonder if that would be the result of too much positive caster. Any thoughts?

Driving was a hoot though. After going up and down my street twice we drove about a mile to the gas station to fill up. A guy headed the opposite direction quickly did a U-turn and chased us down, meeting at the station. He wanted to talk and take pictures. He identified it right away as a Sunbeam, which most people don't, and he was the first Sunbeam enthusiast so far that was happy about the GM drivetrain. Most are very disappointed that we didn't use Ford.
All the looks, smiles and waves from other people were fun too.

003 (13).JPG

005 (14).JPG013 (15).JPG

As you can see I have a few more things that need to be finished up. Front turns/markers, front and rear bumpers, and a few other details. While we were dropping it off, the plans for the interior quickly went from mild to wild. I trust it will come out looking great, but I'm worried it will be too much show car and not enough go car, as it is moving away from the original ideas and theme of the car. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised. Not that it matters much. It's not my car.

The plan now is to get it finished for Autorama. Not 100% sure we will enter it, but we want to be done just in case. After that I plan on a few hundred miles of drive time to work out any bugs, then maybe even drive it to AZ to drop it off.

And just to recap, here's a photo from the day it was dropped off.

6.JPG