My Next Project: 1965 Sunbeam Alpine

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I’ll be going over the car with a fine tooth comb before taking delivery. Not sure what to do if I find anything I don’t like. It’s not like I would leave it there if I had the opertunity to get it out of there.

Oh, and I left another voicemail at about 1230. Never returned.

Tonkaman

I just can't imagine someone lying about their parent being in the ICU, about to die. Who would do such a thing?

A good friend and employee of mine did this. He told me his dad died and he needed a couple weeks off to manage his fathers affairs. He disappeared for over a month, and was a real crappy worker for weeks. Every time I confronted him he would end up sobbing and breaking down.

He forgot that another co-worker of ours grew up with him, and knows his father. Long story short, we knew he wasn’t dead the whole time!! He just needed an excuse to be a lazy, unreliable ass hat.

4x4_Welder

Given that he has admitted to being an idiot and causing damage to the car, you could probably file suit to have the car returned. You'd need the owner's written permission to act on his behalf (special power of attorney), and then have a lawyer draft up a demand for the car's return.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
On a whim I dropped by the shop yesterday on my way home from work, about 4pm. I called and sent him a text. Neither got returned. I waited for a while. There was two cars in the parking lot. The normal black pickup and a small car. After waiting a while the door opened and a girl came out. I jumped out of my truck and walked over to the door where Andy's son was standing. I put my foot in the door so he couldn't close it. I asked for Andy. I was told he wasn't there. I then asked to see my car. I got the run around again about not being able to go in if Andy isn't there. I told him to call Andy and ask if I could see the car. He said he didn't have his phone on him, but that he would go get it and make the call. I could see I wasn't getting anywhere so I turned around and went over to the girl who had just gotten into her car. She rolled the window down and talked to me for a minute. She explained the situation with her grandparents and how Andy has been spending a bunch of time at their house. I asked about her grandpa being at the hospital all last week and she said he was just at home sick. She didn't know when he had been at the hospital last. That confirmed what I had thought about Andy lying about being at the hospital all last week. I thanked her for talking to me and for the information and then got back in my truck. About that time Andy called me. He didn't say anything about talking to his kids, so I guess the son never called him like he said he would. Guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Anyways, Andy said he had family coming into town and that he would be free all day tomorrow (today). We agreed to meet up after work today to pick the car up. I left. An hour or so later I get these texts:

I have no idea what the kids told him I said. I was firm with the son about wanting to see the car and him asking Andy if I could come in. That's it. With his daughter, I actually had a pleasant, but short conversation. I was polite and didn't say anything rude. At any rate, if he had been there, I wouldn't have even talked to his kids. I would have only wanted to talk to him. I don't know why he always asks if I want to see pictures of his parents. I don't. That wont change me wanting the car. I can't believe he brought up the flowers. He should have known at that point that he was busted on the hospital lie. Or is he expecting flowers to show up at their house? Anyways, I think this is the excuse he's been looking for. I think he wants John there so that he can try to get more money out of him. I have $5k in cash just waiting to give him. I bet he wants more.

So I called him after I got that text. Of course it went to voicemail. I was pretty upset that he thought I treated his kids bad. I didn't even know the guy was his son. I figured the girl was his daughter but wasn't sure. I pretty much said everything I have just written here. Called him out again about the hospital and explained my interactions with his kids. I told him I am still good to pick the car up today and that I will have the police with me. And left it at that. I record all my phone call with him now. I may post them up. Nothing really interesting in them so far.

I talked to John about all of this. I don't think he's too happy about me bringing up the police. I get it. He is just concerned that the car won't get out of there in one piece or that it will be sabotaged in some way. He told me to lay off Andy and that he will be up here next week and that we can pick the car up then.

Fine.

ID Bronco

I'm sure you're not getting paid enough to put up with this. If John doesn't have your back when you are on his side then I'd let him come get the car and handle it. John should have had a lawyer get involved weeks or months ago. He's obviously an a-hole, I'm sure he's taught his family to be one too. Life's too short to put up with those kinds of people. I hope this guy never get's work again.

Pile of parts

Have you been paid for your work? If so, I'd do just what John said and walk away. Let him worry about it. If not, I'd ask John to pay you for your portion and then walk away. We'd all like to see the end result but it isn't worth putting yourself in this situation. Especially if you have nothing at stake at this point.

rholbrook

Have you been paid for your work? If so, I'd do just what John said and walk away. Let him worry about it. If not, I'd ask John to pay you for your portion and then walk away. We'd all like to see the end result but it isn't worth putting yourself in this situation. Especially if you have nothing at stake at this point.
I agree. Obviously the guy wants to work with John so just let him. Tell John you have to bow out because you are too emotionally connected.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I hear ya. We just had a pretty unpleasant phone call. I drove it into the shop but it sounds like it will not drive out of the shop. Bringing a trailer.....
And my body guard.