Jeep My Overland Project, the RME JKU

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
It's funny how the value of a thread changes with time. I thought it was a cool rig when the build started, but not much more than that. Now that I'm in the market for a family oriented mild wheeler, I'm eating it up :D

Lube lockers rock.
Long arms look awesome.
It's crazy how big 35s used to be and now are not.
Love the photos.

I agree with all points.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's funny how the value of a thread changes with time. I thought it was a cool rig when the build started, but not much more than that. Now that I'm in the market for a family oriented mild wheeler, I'm eating it up :D

:rofl: It's all about perspective!

I'm happy with the JKU as a mild wheeler, it's great on the road, even long trips and still plenty capable offroad. It is long & wide in the big rocks, you figure out that quickly on a real challenging trail. But mine isn't built for hardcore wheelin, so I try to remember that.

mesha

By endurance we conquer

I agree with all points.

Haha. Now that I just bought another JKU I feel the same way :)

Greg

Admin
The JK is looking like it works great for your intended use. Super clean looking install on those brackets.

Appreciate it Chad! TeraFlex makes the brackets super easy to install, the hard part is the torching and all the grinding to clean up the frame.

I do love how the Outback springs work in combination with the Alpine long arms and their rubber bushings. I still have the heavier support, but the ride quality is very much improved... loaded and unloaded.

Greg

Admin
Last time I had the Jeep out my stock front driveshaft failed, I ended up having to drive out of a steep, snow-covered canyon in 2WD and was lucky to make it out. I decided it was time for an upgrade and I knew that I wanted the best possible parts, so I called up the guys at Tom Wood's Driveshafts in Ogden, Utah. I gave them the dimensions and they were very helpful with information and options. I ended up with a Jeep JK front driveshaft with 1310 u-joints as well as a replacement flange for the front pinion and new yoke at the t-case, as well as all new hardware, a package of LockTite and very detailed instructions. Tom knows driveshafts very well and he has come up with the strongest possible option for the JK.

The install was pretty straight forward, took about an hour to get it in and tested on the snowy Colorado roads! In 4WD the Jeep was nice and smooth, no vibrations and peace of mind knowing I now have a beefy, upgraded Tom Wood's front driveshaft!

P1011454-L.jpg

P1011450-L.jpg

P1011455-L.jpg

P1011458-L.jpg

P1011466-L.jpg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Jeep is looking awesome Greg. You will love the long arm setup on your JKU.

I agree with the removal of the OEM frame brackets being the worst part and taking the longest time to make for a clean installation.

Mike.