Jeep My Overland Project, the RME JKU

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
We can go for a drive and compare our 2 JKU's side by side! I bottomed out the JKU on Saturday and yeah, it's HARSH! Really looking forward to the Speed Bumps!

Sounds good. I almost pulled the trigger on some king bumps the other day.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The speed bumps are nice, but any sustained rough riding at speed will destroy them fast. For the price you may as well go air bumps, which are adjustable as well.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The speed bumps are nice, but any sustained rough riding at speed will destroy them fast. For the price you may as well go air bumps, which are adjustable as well.

The Speed Bumps are rebuildable, if it comes down to it. I would think that for 90% of the people that are trail riding the Speed Bumps will probably work fine and they're a huge upgrade over stock bump stops. If you're serious about going fast in the desert, then yeah... there are better options. Air bumps are the next level, which come with the needed fab work to get them on.... fine for many of us on here, but not for a lot of others.

I'm not putting together a go-fast Jeep by any means, but I do plan to head to Baja again this Winter and will be putting the Jeep and it's suspension to the test exploring hundreds of miles of dirt roads. Before that there will be plenty of local trails that will test out these parts and I'll be sure to review how it's all working.

DAA

I've had 4 door envy, so bad, for so long... But, realistically, a JKU is not in my future - probably keep campaigning the old LJ for lot more years. Fun to build a JKU vicariously through you though Greg :D.

- DAA

Greg

Admin
I've had 4 door envy, so bad, for so long... But, realistically, a JKU is not in my future - probably keep campaigning the old LJ for lot more years. Fun to build a JKU vicariously through you though Greg :D.

- DAA

Dave, your LJ is one the best put together Jeeps I've even seen! I would love to see your take on a JKU build... but if what you have works just fine, why mix it up?

Greg

Admin
It's been a LONG day, but the front end is 90% together! The TeraFlex Monster HD Forged Front Adjustable Trackbar... it's name is well deserved, it's about 3x the weight of the factory part! That should help keep death wobble away and allow for a good deal of tuning to work with the new 3" lift. Speaking of lift, the Outback Suspension springs are seriously beefy, seems like they'll be a great upgrade for a JK that's set up to carry a heavy load.. they're obviously much larger and thicker than the stock springs.

REALLY digging the limiting straps that were included, they'll save the shocks from getting destroyed when the suspension gets too light. After getting everything set up, I'm impressed with how much up & down travel the JUKR will have, the guys at TeraFlex have done their homework and put together a killer option for an engineered suspension system. :cool:

P5072956-L.jpg

P5082958-L.jpg

P5082959-L.jpg

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Sometimes I regret selling the JKU, I just couldn't swallow beating on a 38k rig, I'll probably visit the platform again when prices come down in the used market. Looking forward to the build and adventures, should be fun for you Greg.

Greg

Admin
Sometimes I regret selling the JKU, I just couldn't swallow beating on a 38k rig, I'll probably visit the platform again when prices come down in the used market. Looking forward to the build and adventures, should be fun for you Greg.

I totally understand where you're coming from Josh, I was looking at a new Sport but ended with up with this well-used Rubicon for less than a Sport. It's already been beat up a little, so I don't feel as bad about using it offroad, but don't really plan to rock crawl with it so the beating should be minimal.

I'm most excited about the places it'll take us, I think it will be a great vehicle for our needs.

Greg

Admin
Shortly after buttoning up the suspension install, my wheels arrived from Quadratec. I decided on the Rubicon Xtreme in Black, they're 17" wheels with 4.75" BS and 9" wide... I like how they look like a factory wheel, but a bit wider and better backspacing... and the $150 price seemed very fair. I loaded the wheels up and headed down to the local Discount Tire for a set of 35x12.5x17 BFGoodrich KO2 AT's. I'm very happy with the combo, looks great and the tires roll very smooth on the road.

P5152961-L.jpg

20150515_185010_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

Next up was to install the TeraFlex Heavy Duty Hinged Tire Carrier. The carrier itself is made from cast aluminum and you'd think that sounds pretty light... but it's far from that. It's very well built with strength in all the right places. I was curious about the weight so loaded it on the scale... looks like the carrier itself weighs 23#'s! This thing is BEEFY! The removal of the stock carrier and install of the TeraFlex HD Tire Carrier was pretty straight forward. I also added their Accessory Mount for my RotoPax 2 gallon tank and CB antenna.

P5152969-L.jpg

P5152967-L.jpg

P5152974-L.jpg

P5162978-L.jpg

P5162979-L.jpg

P5162985-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
Since the JKU now had a great suspension and larger tires, I decided it was time for a real test and probably the most difficult challenge it'll see. We live 90 min from Moab, so we loaded up for a daytrip to run the Rubicon thru it's paces. I aired down to 15 PSI and we hit the dirt. We first headed to Dome Plateau and ran the part of the trail... I wanted to take it easy and see how it worked, then test out the suspension on the fast dirt roads. Next up we headed over to Hells Revenge and even ran the optional Hells Gate! After playing on Hells Revenge we headed over to the Moab Rim. It's been years since I've been up the Rim and my wife never has... the JKU walked right up everything!

Here's some pics from the day...

P5172986-L.jpg

P5172989-L.jpg

P5173000-L.jpg

P5173016-L.jpg

P5173022-L.jpg

P5173023-L.jpg

P5173036-L.jpg

P5173034-L.jpg

P5173043-L.jpg

P5173051-L.jpg

P5173060-L.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Kind of nice to just jump in and drive to the trail, eh? JKU are SUPER capable for as good of road manners as they have. They just flat work on the trail. Not awesome on the road but it's not a BMW or even an Impala :D

Greg

Admin
Kind of nice to just jump in and drive to the trail, eh? JKU are SUPER capable for as good of road manners as they have. They just flat work on the trail. Not awesome on the road but it's not a BMW or even an Impala :D

Yeah, totally agree... very capable for a stock-ish Jeep and quite driveable on the road! The Jeep brand has come a long way, they did great with the JKU and I totally understand why they're so popular.

You know what's really nice? Unlocking the diffs and locking the anti-sway bar right off the trail, then hitting the road without even stepping out of the Jeep! :D