Narrow Trails

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So I was up driving on Mary Ellen Gulch. On the way in I couldn't help but notice there was a lot of distance between turnouts on a very narrow road. Even the "turnouts" I saw didn't look like you could have passed anyone safely. I didn't run into anyone thankfully (Tuesday Morning). What do you do if you run into someone? As a younger person I probably could have easily backed up a ways but as I get older my reflexes aren't what they used to be :)

So what do you do? What are some ideas?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Common trail etiquette says the vehicle going uphill has the right of way, as it's easier for the vehicle facing down hill to get moving again. But that doesn't seem to be common knowledge these days... I've had many run ins where people have no idea what to do.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Rule of thumb is, the driver driving uphill has right of way because it's safer to back uphill than downhill. So if all else fails, the driver coming down is the one who gets to reverse a couple hundred yards or otherwise get out of the way.

But I play it by ear. When I see another rig coming I'm looking for a way to get out of the way no matter which way I'm going. And if I'm the guy climbing but I've got a wide spot ten yards behind me and the other guy has to back 100 yards to reach his, then I'm the one backing up. And If there's really no proper way to get out of the way but I feel comfortable putting my rig at 45* on the uphill side to get off the road and the other guy clearly isn't, then I'm the one getting out of the way.

ID Bronco

Common trail etiquette says the vehicle going uphill has the right of way, as it's easier for the vehicle facing down hill to get moving again. But that doesn't seem to be common knowledge these days... I've had many run ins where people have no idea what to do.

This...............When I was young we had a 63 GMC 2 wd with possi. It did awesome when you had momentum but it you stopped you were screwed. I remember a time when we were deer hunting and a guy coming down would not back up, we had to stop and then could not get traction again, my dad taught us all (including the other guy) this rule of etiquette. I've never forgotten it.

But, I'm with kevinb if I am more capable of getting out of the way. I have backed a mile before, it stinks.

Bart

We used that rule a lot in Colorado on the San Juans, Ouray, Silverton, and Telluride area. With that said there were many times when whoever had the best pull out place would stop regardless of uphill or downhill.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That makes sense. I tend to notice people earlier than they see me so it makes sense to pull off if there is a place. I've always wanted to run those trails. Also Black Bear road. I've wanted to run it ever since CW McCall sang about it :cool: