Narrowed Axle Jig

troutbum

cubi-kill
I am about ready to narrow a D60, I am looking for a shop/somebody with a jig? Beach's charged a resonable amount, to cut 'em and weld on outers but since they went out of business I am not sure who else does it?? Advance quoted me an arm and a leg. I have the outers, and just need the tubes cut to spec and the outer welded on square. Anyone have a jig or have a shop recomendation??

And by the way, I am narrowing because I have a built frontend that I don't want to ditch so FW is out of the question.:D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I narrowed my rear axle using a jig that I made and also double checking it with the shaft you plan on using once it is shortened.

I made my jig out of some scrap peices of tubing of different sizes that fit the ends just right, and an old bearing. I tacked it in place, threw the new shaft in and made sure it was as close to square as humanly possible, then welded it right up.

Elsewise, most 4x4 shops will be able to do this for a fair price. It really isn't that much work. The hardest part should be getting the right size shafts.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
how much did Beach charge? I may be interested in doing it, If I make enough to pay for the jig peices I've been wanting.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Charles (formerly of AFWD) is building axles. He is very reasonable!! He works out of DJ's shop. His company is Rocky Mountain Axle. He does an excellent job. I work with him at AFWD a FEW years back. He does an even better job now that Randy doesn't make him reuse crappy parts.
Sorry I lost the phone #.
Tell him Marc milner sent you.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by Jeremy
how much did Beach charge? I may be interested in doing it, If I make enough to pay for the jig peices I've been wanting.

Do you have an axle stand? I don't think so, oh do you have a lathe? Oops, you don't have them yet? Just kidding Jeremy.:D :D Call Charles 808-2525

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Andy

Do you have an axle stand? I don't think so, oh do you have a lathe? Oops, you don't have them yet? Just kidding Jeremy.:D :D Call Charles 808-2525
And, how long has it been since you've been to my house Andy? He he he, I have secrets.

So, Trout, How much was it? And what exactly was done for said price?

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by sukaB
yah how do you know what jeremy has in the basement....
Shut up Andy....

I've heard rumors of some pretty kinky stuff, Chains on the walls..oops sorry Jeremy.:D Boy are you in for a suprise in Moab B:D

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
I THINK DJ'S TRACTION SYSTEMS HAS A GUY THAT COULD DO IT...
IT MIGHT BE WORTH A TRY...
GOOD LUCK!!