Nate's crappy 93 XJ

Nate's crappy 93 XJ "Snowflake/Ice Princess"

Owners Name & City- Nate, West Jordan, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- Stripped-down 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country buggy thingy

Engine- 4.0L, HD motor mounts

Transmission- Aisin Warner 4-Speed auto, gear selection switches, big tranny cooler

T-Case- NP231, stock

Axles - HP Dana 30 front w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Torq-Masters Chromo shafts with JK joints
-Chrysler 8.25 rear w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Riddler diff cover, shaved a bit

Suspension- 3" coils + 2" spacers in the front w/custom 3-link mid-arm, center limit strap, hockey puck bumpstop extensions; stock leaf packs in the rear with additional springs added (7 total) + lift shackles, homebuilt traction bar

Wheels and Tires- 35x12.5r17 Maxxis short course stickies on Raceline Beadlocks

Winch- Guys pulling on a strap usually does it

Favorite Trails- Hell's Revenge, The Maze, Green Day, Nasty Half, Sliplock, Pritchett

Other- Cut in half; power steering cooler; Custom heim steering & tracbar; JCR skid plate; RCI Race cell with Walbro pickups; LED rock lights; Unibody stiffeners; custom boat-sides & bumpers

1-ejs09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm going to do my best to have some type of order to these pics. Here goes:

Bought it stock in November 2008. I can't find my pics of it in stock form but it didn't stay stock for long anyways. Got some 31x10.50r15 BFG AT's on the same black steelies it still has and sold the stock tires and wheels for more! Lifted it 2" with some coil spacers a buddy gave me and added some stock leafs to the rear with a shackle. Cut the fenders and moved the front flares. Scored an XJ Dana44 in the junkyard for $88 and installed it with a minispool. Added some awesome Walmart fogs and a pinwheel. This is the first pic of that setup in Moab at EJS 2009
1-ejs09.jpg

Took it up AF Canyon in '09
2-afc2009.jpg

Made the driver's door removable in '09
3-door09.jpg

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Built a front bumper for it in spring 2010
4-bumper2010.jpg

Got some cheap 33's, upped the lift to 3", welded on some uniframe reinforcement, built rocker replacements/sliders, built rear bumper, JCR skid, built traction bar, added front-center limiting strap all in the middle of 2010. Went to Moab
Untitled.jpg

Added front Aussie locker, went snow wheeling in winter of 2010
6-winter2010.JPG

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Went to Moab in February 2012.
View attachment 75815

My plexiglass window didn't work that well in Moab cause the window frame was soooo trashed. My solution was this cause I'm a dork and thought it would be funny. No, I don't drink... I just do dumb/funny stuff sometimes.
View attachment 75816

After a huge battle with my D44 and it's leaky wheel-seals I determined that it was bent, very bent. I replaced it with a 29-spline Chrysler 8.25 that already had an Aussie locker. I added Ten Factory chromo shafts.

Went to EJS 2012
View attachment 75817

Last edited:

N-Smooth

The only drama from EJS was that I broke my driver door glass on Green Day while backing out of this (and trying not to break all of the passenger side glass)
Untitled3.jpg

Went back down to StG for Memorial Day 2012
17-052012.jpg

Two weekends later a buddy tricked me into going to run Forest Lake up AFC with him. He even tricked me into this mud-hole of doom and destruction
18-062012.jpg

N-Smooth

The reason for this thread is to sort of make a history of my dump-ride XJ. Yes, it sucks. You can make fun of it if you like. I probably make fun of it more than anyone else ever has. I have had some ridiculously fun times in this rig and was just looking through pics and decided to do this.

This rig has been DRIVEN to Moab 12 times, StG 3 times, RS/Con 5 times, Little Moab 4 times, AFC 3 times, and MMP 1 time and all in the 4 years (almost) that I've had it. I am soooo mean to her and I'm proud of the old girl for still rocking!

I will take some pics of how she sits right now and go into detail on what she currently needs and other mods I have planned.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

As promised, current pics and some actual work going on... YAY!

4.jpg
Yes, the whole jeep appears to be bent in the middle, look at the door gap.

6.jpg
Custom body-work courtesy of Escalator

10.jpg
StG really did a number on this whole area

11.jpg
Green Day and my driver door got into a fight and GD broke my window while it was rolled down

N-Smooth

13.jpg
Look at the door gaps HAHAHA

15.jpg
Yup, it still looks awful from this angle

It is definitely a pile but man I LOVE THIS JEEP. That's the only way to put it.
18.jpg

N-Smooth

Some pics from last night while working on it:

23.jpg
I took off my old bumper, it is time to build something new and improved

I slipped and fell while holding my grinder and this happened...

29.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

Last edited:

N-Smooth

I'm going to build a new bumper with the main piece out of some 2x3 .188 tubing right underneath the modified grill and make a big skidplate from the bottom of the tube to the bottom of the unibody. I'll also be trimming back the unibody to almost touch the front of the steering box and build a new crossmember. I will gain a ton of clearance over my old bumper (I took some measurements for reference) that already had a ton of clearance over the stock garbage can bumpers.

N-Smooth

made some more progress on the bumper. it's hard when i just have a couple hours here and there.

threw a bunch of steel at the unibody and crossmember to stiffen it up and create a foundation for the bumper. also got the "frame" plates cut and drilled for mock-up. i need to go over them and make the final cuts and weld them on. yeah, i am going to weld on the bumper. the only reason i did the three bolt holes is to mount the steering box on the driver side and it makes mock-up on the passenger side easier. the way i see it, this is the last bumper i'm going to build for this jeep so it should be welded on.

bumper.jpg
the two marks on the plate show where the stock frame crossmember was and where the front of my old bumper was. pretty crazy how much clearance i'm gaining. i cut the unibody all the way back to the front of the steering box.

BUMPER1.jpg

BUMPER2.jpg

i'm pretty happy with it so far. it is taking a lot longer than i normally take on a front bumper but it's all because of the extra 1.5" i cut off the unibody and the few inches i took out of the grill and header.

N-Smooth

I like your approach angle!

thanks! it was already decent before- anything i couldn't get tires on i would just slide my bumper up it or approach from an angle if necessary. this is going to be even better.

i need to make this thing work around the 33's since i don't see an axle swap in my near future.

sixstringsteve

the 33's haven't been holding you back at all. I agree, stick with the 33's and keep it cheap and reliable. Your driving skills make up for anything you might be lacking in tire size.