Nate's crappy 93 XJ

Nate's crappy 93 XJ "Snowflake/Ice Princess"

Owners Name & City- Nate, West Jordan, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- Stripped-down 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country buggy thingy

Engine- 4.0L, HD motor mounts

Transmission- Aisin Warner 4-Speed auto, gear selection switches, big tranny cooler

T-Case- NP231, stock

Axles - HP Dana 30 front w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Torq-Masters Chromo shafts with JK joints
-Chrysler 8.25 rear w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Riddler diff cover, shaved a bit

Suspension- 3" coils + 2" spacers in the front w/custom 3-link mid-arm, center limit strap, hockey puck bumpstop extensions; stock leaf packs in the rear with additional springs added (7 total) + lift shackles, homebuilt traction bar

Wheels and Tires- 35x12.5r17 Maxxis short course stickies on Raceline Beadlocks

Winch- Guys pulling on a strap usually does it

Favorite Trails- Hell's Revenge, The Maze, Green Day, Nasty Half, Sliplock, Pritchett

Other- Cut in half; power steering cooler; Custom heim steering & tracbar; JCR skid plate; RCI Race cell with Walbro pickups; LED rock lights; Unibody stiffeners; custom boat-sides & bumpers

1-ejs09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Are you going up to the next IXR event on August 15 -16?

I'm not sure. I really want to but my rig is in an awkward spot where it doesn't fit well in stock or pro mod class. I wanted to run pro mod last weekend but the rocks were way too big for bald 33's on a stock drivetrain XJ...

I'll be going to spot regardless but I may leave Snowflake home.

N-Smooth

So I put a hole in a sidewall two weekends ago at the snakes. Don't know when it happened, just noticed my Jeep was pulling to that side right before I pulled it on the trailer. I bought these tires 4 years ago and they've taken a beating! Last year my nephew demolished a sidewall during EJS and Discount Tire replaced it. I didn't know if they'd replace this one as it is more worn down and all that but they did. Discount is the best! I've been buying tires from them for 16 years for a reason.
One of these things is not like the other. I'll show the new tire, most worn tire and the one that was new last year.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

N-Smooth

Actually glad you weren't hurt. Could have been pretty brutal. I'm guessing a stronger cage is in the works?

I don't want to say that my cage design was terrible because it did save my life on two really, really hard rolls and pretty much every cage would be compromised... Endos are just the worst IMO.
That being said, yes it will be better for sure. When I built that cage I did it around the full body and that limits design. I also didn't ever intend to compete, it was just a rec wheeler. The new cage will have a tube all the way around at shoulder height that the top will be built off. That way next time I roll it I can just replace the top section. Fun stuff

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The new cage will have a tube all the way around at shoulder height that the top will be built off. That way next time I roll it I can just replace the top section. Fun stuff

Excellent idea. Also, keep in mind there are plenty of people with 1.75" dies for their benders, if you don't have one. ;)

N-Smooth

Excellent idea. Also, keep in mind there are plenty of people with 1.75" dies for their benders, if you don't have one. ;)

Yeah, Ryan and I discussed that for a bit but I don't know that it matters. Thanks though.

Glad you're ok and I agree that endo's are the worst.

Thanks Bart. This was my first (and second) time so hopefully that means I hit the quota for a while.

N-Smooth

Well after all the fun in Idaho...
image.jpg
I was left with a big, bent piece of metal. Look how twisted it is.
image.jpg
Last night I executed parade mode
image.jpg
Got it all stripped down and today this happened
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Thanks to Dan for helping me out today. I moved the cage by myself last night and that made my back a little angry. I wouldn't have been able to move the body without him for sure.
Currently the plan is to keep the leafs. I wish I had the coin for some airshocks, links and a swaybar but it's just not in the budget. I'll start on the rear tube frame next week and the cage design will follow. Going to keep an area in the back for two car seats that may end up fitting a small kids seat when my kids are big enough to need it.

I'm excited!

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Wow. So much for stock class anymore LOL. Thats cool.

I went out today and ran sliplock and part of West rim. On the way back to the trailer my track bar bracket broke bent my track bar and broke the top of both my shocks. With my winch attacked to my axle I was able to limp it back to the trailer. I think the shocks can be tig welded back on. Now she needs some work.

N-Smooth

Wow. So much for stock class anymore LOL. Thats cool.

I went out today and ran sliplock and part of West rim. On the way back to the trailer my track bar bracket broke bent my track bar and broke the top of both my shocks. With my winch attacked to my axle I was able to limp it back to the trailer. I think the shocks can be tig welded back on. Now she needs some work.

It didn't fit well in stock class anyways so this is honestly a blessing in disguise. I say that now because I haven't started on the cage yet. Give me a few days of doing that and I'll wish it still had a body... Lol lots of hard work ahead.

I hope your shocks are fixable, those things aren't cheap!