Neat features with the Xenforo forum software

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think we're all still figuring out the Xenforo features, figured we'd share what neat things we're finding... I've really been enjoying how simple things are compared to the old vBulletin software, seems like things that used to take 3 to 4 steps with vB now take one step... and it's really simple!

I'll share the neat things I've been finding... and if there is something you've found and like, please do the same! I hope this will help all of us get used to the change over to Xenforo.

Greg

Admin
Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Another big thing with Xenforo is the integration into various Social Media platforms and the ease of sharing... at the bottom-left of each page you have the option to share that page on; Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Pinterest, in an Email or simply copy a link to your clipboard.share.jpg

Greg

Admin
You can now post a New Thread directly from the main forum you're viewing, instead of clicking the New Thread button and opening a new window. This is one of those changes where extra steps have been removed, I like it!

newthread.jpg

Greg

Admin
I like searching for all my own threads or other members, it's a little tricky to find... click on the profile (yours or somebody else), then under the 'Find' tab you can choose 'All Content' or 'All Threads'. The results will show up chronologically.

allthreads.jpg

Greg

Admin
Another one, this one isn't really 'New' but it stands out much better than before and helps folks find your thread. Prefixes!! There are all kinds of options! Use them to make navigating the forum easier for the people viewing the threads!

When you're creating the title of your thread, there is a drop down box just to the left... select the Make of vehicle, General Tech or what ever best fits your thread.-
prefix2.jpg

And what the page should look like, full of prefixes!
prefix.jpg

Greg

Admin
Ok, found another one and it's really cool, IMO. It works with both Mobile and PC.

As you're reading a thread, you can tap (or click) on a specific part of a comment to highlight it and a little 'Reply' button pops up. Hit that Reply button and the forum will automatically quote that piece and you can reply to just that! You can highlight and reply to as many comments in a thread as you like!highlight.jpg

Greg

Admin
Alright, lets talk media attachments! It's a little different than the old setup and the button is kind of hidden, but we now have many more options to attach media!

When you're starting a thread or replying, you have a tool bar with all kinds of options. Just Right of Center is the "Insert" button, it looks like three periods, with a drop-down arrow. If you click that, you have the option of adding Media, Quote, Spoiler alert, Code or Inline Code. For this post, we'll use Media.

media.jpg

Once you've opened that and chose 'Media', you will see a box to paste your chosen Media into. You simply Copy & Paste the URL (or web link) of the Media you're sharing. There are PLENTY of options, including Facebook, Flickr, Giphy, Imugr, Instagram, Liveleak, Reddit, Spotify, Vimeo, YouTube and more.

media2.jpg

Here's what it will look like with the code around the attachment. You've now embedded a video or other Media into your post! This one is a YouTube video. -
media3.jpg

Greg

Admin
OK, time for a photo attachment tutorial! This one is pretty easy, you do have some options along the way.

When you're starting a thread or replying and you want to attach a photo, look for the Button in the Top-Center of the Menu above where you type. The button looks like a photo of a Mountain. Or, you can click on the "Attach Files" on the bottom-left and attach files (and photos) that way.

Here's the Image Button...
photo.jpg

And the 'Attach Files' button...
photo5.jpg

When using the "Insert Image" button, you can either upload an image from your device OR copy & paste a URL if you have the photo hosted online, elsewhere. Click in the box to access the photo's you have on your device.
photo2.jpg

Select your image... (this part is from my laptop. Mobile devices will look a little different, but same effect.)photo3.jpg

And then it'll show up in your post!
photo4.jpg

Any questions?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'll just add this to Greg's post..
Although it appears to work just fine on my desktop using Chrome, do not drag a photo and drop it into the text box. Some browsers don't seem to be happy with in-line photos and so won't display the pictures.